cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM card security compromise

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I don't usually post here anymore, but just wondered if anybody knows whether O2 sim cards are amoungst those manufactured by Gemalto, which are now known to have been compromised by GCHQ.

If so, can we have them replaced with non-snooping versions?

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

Better than the ones in white coats !! @jonsie 

Not true. The ones in white coats at least ensure your safety...for a while...Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 21

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
They are welcome to read my text messages - I guarantee they will soon get bored and move on to someone interesting wink

Pass them over...I will be the judge of that tongue

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 21

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@MI5 wrote:
They are welcome to read my text messages - I guarantee they will soon get bored and move on to someone interesting wink

Most of them are about you.....Whistle

Message 13 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

Most of them are about you.....Whistle

Which is why I asked for them to be passed to me....LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Beenherebefore wrote:

@Toby wrote:

Gemalto is one of our approved suppliers for SIM cards which is accredited as defined by the GSMA’s security accreditation scheme.

Probably that scheme means very little to GCHQ as it wasn't devised to protect against Government agencies.

http://www.gsma.com/technicalprojects/fraud-security/security-accreditation-scheme

Well, frankly, the scheme now means very little to anyone, because despite the waffle on the website, [at least] one member has been compromised.  So it all means nothing.  Whether or not it has an actual effect on individual customers is an issue for those customers to contemplate.  That doesn't change the fact that a whole load of people wasted their time developing and promoting a scheme that's a load of rubbish.

Message 15 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
If they are really THAT keen to read my text messages about my dogs or what I did at the weekend? Then they must have a boring life.
Message 16 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
If they are really THAT keen to read my text messages about my dogs or what I did at the weekend? Then they must have a boring life.

Well I do computer security work, and also work part time for a foreign news agency.  As such, I deal with sensitive information that could cause problems if it's divulged at the wrong time.  Obviously, I take precautions against that, but I just want to highlight that for some people it's a bit more significant than having the spooks read their personal texts.

Besides, 'what you did at the weekend', is valuable information to a lot of people.  Imagine being out with friends and your mobile starts buzzing and ringing with adverts for STD clinics and a advisory that your health insurance just went up three fold, just because you phoned a few numbers based in SOHO?

Message 17 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sounds just like the dozen or so ppi calls plus apparently I have been involved in several no fault accidents in the last 3 years. They were so serious I don't know about them.

Not really that bothered about those calls. I can choose to ignore.
Message 18 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Sounds just like the dozen or so ppi calls plus apparently I have been involved in several no fault accidents in the last 3 years. They were so serious I don't know about them.

Not really that bothered about those calls. I can choose to ignore.

Because those are random cold calls that everybody receives and ignores.

When it's targetted to you personally, and affects bank rates, insurance quotes, visa applications, etc, it's harder to ignore.

Two very different things.

Message 19 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Maybe so and I can't fault your thinking on this.

I just can't get excited about it right now. That might change when more of the story comes out mind
Message 20 of 21