cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM Swap

Anonymous
Not applicable

I upgraded my phone the other day from the HTC WP7 to Samsung Galaxy S3. I collected my phone yesterday and I didn't realise this thing with the Micro SIM.

So I went to the swapmysim site, put in my phone number, got the code, put the code in but it would never accept the Micro SIM number that was on it. Eventually it said I tried too many attempts.

I then went on to the live chat support and spoke to someone. They were helping me and said it will take 24hrs. This morning I woke up and the old sim on my HTC says Invalid SIM, so I'm thinking good progress. The Samsung still says no SIM.

It's only been 15 hours, so not quite 24 yet, but I was wondering is it normal for the swap to not happen at the same time?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is the chat, I saved a copy of it.

Welcome to O2. Someone will be with you soon.
You're through to 'Neha'
Neha: Hi I'm Neha. How can I help?
Neha: How are you?
Andrew: hello
Andrew: i need help swapping my sim
Neha: May I help you in Sim swap?
Andrew: yes please, i got the 6 digit code, but when I put in the new SIM number it says "SIM swap failed"
Neha: Okay I'll place this request for you.
Neha: May I have the Sim number which you want to activate?
Andrew: 894411*****************
Neha: Thanks.
Neha: Can you tell me your full name as it is on your account?
Andrew: Andrew ******
Neha: Thanks.
Neha: Can I have full security answer of your security answer?
Andrew: ******
Neha: That's perfect.
Neha: Can I have any one frequently dialed number you dial ?
Andrew: 077********
Neha: That's perfect.
Neha: The Sim number is 894411*****************, right?
Andrew: yes
Neha: Please give me few minutes I'll place request to activate your Sim.
Andrew: ok, thank you
Neha: You're welcome.
Neha: While I’m checking that for you, you might find this useful. You can get discounts and offers in your local area for being an o2 customer, at places such as Pizza Hut, Odeon Cinema etc. All you have to do is text the word ‘moments’ to 2020. For up to date offers, please visit: www.o2priority.co.uk/Moments
Andrew: thanks
Neha: I've placed request of this for you and the Sim will be activated within 24 hours.
Andrew: thank you, and do i get notification when it's done?
Neha: The phone will automatically start within 24 hours.
Andrew: ok, then after that do i go to http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk/ to swap my SIM?
Neha: No you no need to do anything more on this now.
Andrew: ok cool
Andrew: can i use my old SIM on my old phone over the next 24hrs or not?
Neha: Yes you can use that.
Andrew: so when this activation is done in 24hrs my new micro SIM will have my old number on?
Neha: As per my knowledge that new Sim will not have the old number as you'll need to always activate the new Sim and then only it will work.
Andrew: but that is why i'm doing a SIM swap to swap from my old Standard SIM to my new Micro SIM
Neha: You want to activate the new Sim on this number 077******** right?
Andrew: this is what the situation is.... I upgraded my phone to a Samsung Galaxy SIII. It came with a Micro SIM. What I am trying to do is do a "SIM Swap" so that the new Micro SIM uses my old number 077********
Neha: So now you no need to do anything as I had placed request to activate the new Sim on your number.
Andrew: ok so my new SIM will have 077******** on it?
Neha: Yes right Andrew.
Andrew: ok, thank you
Andrew: does it sometimes work quicker than 24hrs?
Neha: To be honest this process takes 24 hours as it need to get through system and then get effective fully on the account.
Andrew: ok, no worries. thank you
Neha: Is there anything else I can help you with?
Andrew: no thank you
Andrew: merry christmas
Neha: Have a lovely weekend and take care slight_smile
Neha: You too.
Neha: It was great chatting with you.
Neha: Bye.
Andrew: bywe

Message 11 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Obviously she had no idea which sim it was to be transferred to even though you clearly told her & wonder if she did put the request through

Message 12 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well she did something because the old SIM is now Invalid.

Message 13 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's ok now, it's all working. Thanks for the replies of help. slight_smile

Message 14 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

no problem my friend, glad you got it sorted

Message 15 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

I will admit here that it was human error. There was no solution to this problem besides doing something properly.

My new phone did not detect the SIM because i had not pushed it in all the way as I did not realise the SIM slot had a click/spring mechanism and so I didn't want to force the SIM in any further than necessary.

The issue of the SIM Swap not working on the website was resolved by contacting support on the Live Chat who did the swap for me.

Message 16 of 16