Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's
Anonymous

SHAME ON YOU O2

I am wanting to start a new contract from the beginning. If I have paid for the phone then there is nothing wrong with paying for the phone again and startng another contract from the start.

but you still need to finish paying your agreement that you are on at the moment.

But that didnt happen last year. There was a fair upgrade policy.

last year it happened as the phones were not subsidised.
Anonymous

Re: iphone upgrade cost a ripoff

I have six months left - why are O2 making customer buy out of the contract when customers are happy to sign up for another 18 or 24 months?
The download upgrade is not enough - we still miss out on video, improved photo and many other new extras
In January I will ditch O2
Very bad customer service as I am happy to sign a new contract and buy the phone again just don't want to pay to end this contract.

it is not bad customer service, just not getting what you want. you signed into a contract with the promise that this would last minimum 18 months,,, no one forced you to sign the contract, your decision.
Anonymous

Re: iphone upgrade cost a ripoff

I have six months left - why are O2 making customer buy out of the contract when customers are happy to sign up for another 18 or 24 months?
The download upgrade is not enough - we still miss out on video, improved photo and many other new extras
In January I will ditch O2
Very bad customer service as I am happy to sign a new contract and buy the phone again just don't want to pay to end this contract.

6 months at £35 = £210

Times that, for the sake of arguing, by 1000 (waaaaaaaaay less than the amount who would upgrade if they could) customers who want to upgrade early, £210,000.

Where is that money going to come from?

And tell me, if they let you upgrade, why not me? I might want it, but because I didn't want the Iphone why does that make me any less special? If they do it for 1 they have to do it for all.

And as an aside a digital compass? What the frick? OMG I want one!

:womanindifferent:
Anonymous

3G to 3G S iPhone issues

While I understand O2 are a business and we current iPhone users are committed to an 18 or 24 month contract, the plans offered have been flawed from the start.

Apple have on average a 12 month turnaround on their devices, excluding memory / CPU bumps for certain models.

Apple users almost religiously upgrade their old Mac for a new Mac when one is released (always having the latest offering). The same is true for iPhone iPod Touch iPod etc.

O2 should have offered a 12 month contract from the outset. This would have allowed all iPhone users to upgrade to the new model on a 12 monthly basis.

You are contractually obliged to fulfil your 18 or 24 month contract. O2 are quite correct about that. So how do you get a 3G S without paying the remaining term on your contract? How can you avoid this situation again when the 4th, 5th or 6th gen iPhone is launched? Read on. . .

My current contract expires in january 2010. I will not upgrade to a 3G S then as a new 4th Generation will be released 6 months later, which would then force me to miss the 4th gen release and consider upgrading when and if the 5th gen is released in 2011.

Solution:

O2 want you to pay off your current contract then pay the full price of the 3G S, which is costly.

Here's what to do:

Buy your 3G S on Pay As You Go and use your existing contract SIM on the new handset.

Take the Pay As You Go SIM and sell it with your 3G model.

Let your contract expire and switch to the Simplicity 20 month by month contract. (600 anytime minutes, 600 texts - 100 more texts than on the £35 contract- and an unlimited internet (DATA) bolt on - NO Wi-Fi although with 7.2Mbps through 3G who needs Wi-Fi and NO visual voicemail on Simplicity plan, besides it will cause more bandwidth use on O2's network - give them headaches all for £20 a month, saving £15 per month on a new iPhone 3G S contract.)

Total contract cost over 18 months = £630
Cost of iPhone 3G S for £35 contract = £185 (subsidised)

Total cost= £815.

Buy PAYG 16GB 3G S = £440 (unsubsidised)
Simplicity £20 over 18 months = £360

Total cost = £800. Saving you £15. over contract price.
Sale of 3G with PAYG SIM from PAYG 3G S purchase @£200+

Total savings = @£215 over the same services on £35 contract.

On Simplicity 20, you are contracted from month to month. When a new iPhone comes out, buy it on PAYG and continue using your iPhone 4th gen, 5th gen, 6th gen etc. free from O2 18 or 24 month contract plans.

If enough people start using the Simplicity option, O2 will have to reconsider their position in regards price plans and contract terms for iPhone.

This solution allows all iPhone users to get the latest model without incurring contract limits and end of contract charges.

Work O2's system and get what you want when you want it, cheaper than on contract.

Two O2 stores confirmed today that using your original SIM in a PAYG 3G S would be fine to fulfil your contract term, you can even change to Simplicity 20 a month before your contract expires, saving you an additional £10. Total saving @£225 over an 18 month £35 16GB 3G S contract.

O2 can't complain as you are fulfilling your contract and they are selling many new PAYG iPhones, they may well panic when you choose a non fixed term contract in place of another iPhone tariff (no guaranteed income for them). Whenever a new iPhone is launched just buy another PAYG version and insert your original SIM and use the new handset on your Simplicity 20 monthly contract. Sell your old model with the new PAYG SIM from the new purchase so the buyer gets a year of Internet and Wi-Fi on your old iPhone.

Simple really. OK it is still a few hundred pounds initial outlay, but you are effectively contract free to change handsets whenever you the end user likes. Once O2 revise their contract terms and pricing you can choose to continue on Simplicity or enter into another fixed term plan. Your choice, not a carrier dictating when and what you can do.
Anonymous

SHAME ON YOU O2

I said all that on the Iphone complaining... I mean petition thread. It was ignored. People clearly don't want to save money and be able to upgrade to the new one in 12m time (if there is a new one) Smiley Sad
Anonymous

SHAME ON YOU O2

I want to save money Smiley Surprised That is why I am not going to buy out my remaining contractual months and get the Iphone 3GS. What a waste of money!!!
Anonymous

SHAME ON YOU O2

I dont think O2 are such a bad lot anyway.

You got an Apple iPhone at a discount price to pay for it you got an 18 month contract.

As many other posters pointed out, Apple has a 12 month cycle.

At the end of the day, Apple and O2 want your money and nothing else, if you don't like it then simply don't buy it in the first place.

If you bought a Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Motorola or any other make of handset you'd be in the same position, just because Apple have changed their phone then it doesn't mean that you have a god given right to have it.

If you dont like it then don't get an iPhone, because ultimately we all know that a 4th Gen iPhone will likely replace this one.

It firmly places the customer as the cash cow, you pay for it. If you don't like it tough buns, do what every other non-iPhone customer does, either wait or pay up the contract, I'm siding with O2 on this one the contract is the contract like it or lump it.

The 2G to 3G iPhone upgrade was not too bad because most people paid a high price for the handset, the 3G handset was subsidised.

Shunts...
Anonymous

SHAME ON YOU O2

The options O2 have come up with for upgrade are at best 'taking the p*ss'

1. If you spend over £80 per month (which is more than the highest tariff) you can get an upgrade in 3 months. Still got to wait and can't see that many being able to take up that one.

2. You can fork out just under £600 for a Pay as you go. They then recommend you give your old one away.....to create another customer for them. I did that last time and so far it's earned them £300 for no outlay. No thank you from O2 for the extra business.

3. Pay off your contract and start again. Thanks O2, for suggesting I pay twice!

Very short sighted of O2 about the extra business upgrades get them. Unlike most phones that end up in a drawer or landfill, iPhones get passed on and who makes money from that...... surprise, the company with the 'exclusive rights'

Also a great way to annoy Apple. As previous posts have said, Apple users regularly upgrade when new updates come out. Ain't going to happen if O2 are restricting the sales market and effectively forcing people to skip generations.

As for the comments on how O2 aren't really that bad. You obviously haven't got iPhones. It's not 'just a phone' To an iPhone user, the phone bit it almost incidental. When O2's exlusivity runs out we'll, I'm sure all their goodwill and fair play will pay off ....... for the other providers!
Anonymous

Two Minds

I think this is a two sided issue, one hand current 3g users are prepared to go in to longer term contracts to get the new iphone but then you have 02 trying to make money on theses handsets. In all fairness 02 should make 12 month contracts on theses types of deals.

The iPhone packages are very different to standard, mainly with higher cost and features. In some ways this should be handled differently. I think 70% of current iPhone users would upgrade to the new phone but not at the cost they are wanting. Most users it would be £230 + handset cost.

There are other ways to kill your contract if you look on the iphone page, it has 2 options and one of them is 02 priority but not a lot of people would qualify due to price per month you would of had to pay during the existing contract.

Regards Marc
Anonymous

SHAME ON YOU O2

As for the comments on how O2 aren't really that bad. You obviously haven't got iPhones. It's not 'just a phone' To an iPhone user, the phone bit it almost incidental. When O2's exlusivity runs out we'll, I'm sure all their goodwill and fair play will pay off ....... for the other providers!

I'm sorry but if the iphone isn't a phone then what the hell is it? No what it is is a pretty looking fashion accessory that you muppets want to change yearly and make mega profits for Steve Jobs. You entered into the contract, I suggest if you don't understand the concept of contract you look it up. Maybe O2 need to start looking at taking those to court who breach their contracts?