Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

SHAME ON YOU O2

Never seen fourm boards so hot about a phone. Now I dont have an iphone myself, but I agree with the views of some on here. You pay your money and you take your mobile.

No network in the world that I know off offer you a cheap upgrade part way through your contact solely on the basis of a new mobile comming out. Ie when I bought a Nokia,I was not and rightly so offered an upgrade or a cheap upgrade to the nokia XXX i, which was released a few months later.

I think some users of the iphone need to grow up and accept that. What is even more insulting is some users of the iphone have signed up into a 18/24 month contract knowing that the software was going to be updated and a new iphone released and they have the cheeky to moan about not being offered a cheap route!

What I do agree whith is the price for one on PAYG is OTT and needs to be cut, I think if o2 and apple were to cut those prices even on the older models, they would be a far greater take up of the phone.
Anonymous

SHAME ON YOU O2

To be honest looking at the new 3GS i am quite relieved the upgrade from the original 3G isn't that great, in fact there are only 4 things that don't come as part of the update, i was quite worried that we would get a lot of new features, so i for one am happy to wait for the next update next june, when i can purchase that phone by which ever means suits at the time, which will probably be pay and go. So don't worry if you miss this iphone another will be along shortly.
Anonymous

SHAME ON YOU O2

one question - why should you get an upgrade without honouring your contract?????
Anonymous

SHAME ON YOU O2

I had an iphone 3g for 2 weeks and sent it back, I hated it. The battery was awful, it dropped calls for fun regularly 5 or 6 times in 10 minutes! 3g was slow compared to my N95. I'm now back with my N95 until I can get my hands on a 97.
Anonymous

SHAME ON YOU O2

All we are asking is to go into a new 18 month contract and pay for the iphone at the ridiculous rates rather then having to wait another 7 months at least and then go into another contract.

In what other part of life can you just say that you no longer want to honour a contract.
What would you do if you ran a business and supplied another company with a contract and they just said they wanted to write off the last 7 months due and start again.

good point, go down to your nearest Arnold Clarks... buy a new car, pay for it for a few months then ask for a new one. not sure if it will work. Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Tongue
Its not such an absurd thought really. We paid for the first car,we pay to run it. We want to pay for the second car and we want to pay to run it now. What we dont want to do is pay the scrap man half the cost of the car to crush it up. My i phone was around 270 quid,i will pay this again for the new 3gs. Is it really so bad to feel hard done by that i have to pay extra to switch. I appreciate the 270 may not completely cover the cost of the handset,but i doubt its far from it.
Anonymous

iphone

i am an existing customer who will be leaving because of their refusal to honour upgrade arrangements for existing customers.. i have been with o2 since they were cell net. I am angered by the line they are taking on the iphone. If you try to talk to customer services you get the "nothing to do with us guv" line - its all apples fault. What?? How stupid do they think we are? This is a deal done by both companies and O2 have decided that they are happy to lose long standing customers as long as they can attract enough new punters. Thats a commercial decision.. in a way if they said that it would be at least honest - but to sit back and pretend they are victims is simply insulting. After all they did not have to get into bed with apple did they??
Anonymous

It's a hardware tie-in, not a contractual one.

I'm a bit reluctant to reply to this thread, because most opinions have already been voiced and either praised or shot down, but here's mine:

The most important thing for O2 is customer retention, and mobile customers are a notoriously fickle bunch. A customer wanting a Nokia 6300 for example, could get this handset from Vodafone now and in 18 months time switch to a newer Nokia on a better tariff with another provider. The 18 month contract 'keeps' or guarantees that customer.

As the iPhone is exclusive to O2, this contract tie-in isn't needed as the iPhone simply isn't available on any other network. iPhone owners are married to O2 because of the hardware, not the contract. As long as the iPhone is on O2, they'll stick with O2. O2 would do well to keep these 'stuck' customers happy, and if that means letting customers have the new hardware that is keeping them with O2 in the first place, I think it would be a wise move.

My point is, the contract isn't as important when the exclusive nature of the iPhone is already doing a perfect job of keeping a customer with O2.

Best
Rich
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: It's a hardware tie-in, not a contractual one.

The most important thing for O2 is customer retention, and mobile customers are a notoriously fickle bunch. A customer wanting a Nokia 6300 for example, could get this handset from Vodafone now and in 18 months time switch to a newer Nokia on a better tariff with another provider. The 18 month contract 'keeps' or guarantees that customer.

Normally id totally agree, but it seems at the moment o2 arent even concerned about customer retention. My wife wants a bog standard nokia. o2 are offering the phone for free and the online 35 tariff for 35 a month.. T-mobile are offering exactly the same for 25 a month. Confronted with this o2 are refusing to budge an inch in trying to keep my wife as customer (shes been with them for 12 years) Normally o2 do very good deals to keep customers but right now... nothing. They are not even offering to price match - i dont know of any company refusing to pricematch what their closest competitor are offering!

Personally i think its a case of o2 saying to themselves `weve got the iphone, everybody wants it, we`re the best` ... im hoping to see o2 fall flat on their faces...