cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am in the U.K. and visiting Ireland shortly. Since that's EU then I don't think there are any roaming charges. However, also visiting Ireland are friends from New Zealand. If I phone their NZ mobiles while we are all in Ireland, will my calls be charged as if they were still in New Zealand?

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144155 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Any call to a NZ number wherever you are will be charged at full international rate.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 144155 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Any call to a NZ number wherever you are will be charged at full international rate.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122803 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions
Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks all. I thought that would be the case. Now off to charge up my old Pay as You Go to give them to use for calling us!!!!

Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 144155 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
That's a sensible way to manage your costs effectively.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122803 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks all. I thought that would be the case. Now off to charge up my old Pay as You Go to give them to use for calling us!!!!

Good call @Anonymous (excuse the pun) Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 7

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35768 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1582 Solutions

@Anonymous - I can confirm your logic.  

Whilst using a UK mobile but roaming in the Republic of Ireland, your calls to other local numbers in Ireland (+353), to other EU numbers and to UK numbers, and 3G/4G use if applicable, will come off your tariff (so if you only get 250calls per month, the 251st call will be chargeable at the Roaming rate, be careful!).

If you're visiting Northern Ireland (counties Antrim, (London)Derry, Tyrone, Fermanagh, Armagh and Down), it counts as UK, so all should be as normal, just like at home.

Calls to the NZ mobiles *will* be expensive.  Your idea to bring out your PAYG phone for the travellers from NZ, with a UK SIM in it, sounds like the best way to keep your costs to a minimum on your trip.

Enjoy your time in Ireland!

Message 7 of 7