Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming surcharge within Europe

henry_law
Level 1: Joiner
  • 13 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have been hit with an additional charge. This is what it says on the 02 website.

"Travelling in our Europe Zone

If you’re travelling within our Europe Zone, your data, minutes and texts allowances will work just like they do in the UK. That includes calls you make and receive within our Europe Zone and back to the UK, texts you send within our Europe Zone and back to the UK, and any data you use in our Europe Zone. See the list of destinations included.

What's included?

Included:

• Making calls and sending texts within our Europe Zone (excluding the UK), to any other country in our Europe Zone (including the UK).
  • Receiving calls and texts in our Europe Zone.
  • Using your monthly data allowance whilst in our Europe Zone."

This is obviously not the complete situation. However, I have searched the website to try to discover what is, and am unable to find any information.

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@henry_law 

Not sure where you travelled to but these are the areas in O2's Europe Zone

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-monthly/roaming-in-europe 

Europe Zone.PNG

Also, there is a restriction on the length of time O2 class as Roaming. It's only free for up to 63 days in any 4 month period.

https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/o2-consumer-fair-usage-policy 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 28

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions
@henry_law Adding to what @Cleoriff has asked, were you at any time on a cruise ship?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 28

henry_law
  • 13 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I used it on 48 days between 14 January and 13 May ie 15 days less than the 63 day free period. 18 Days since 1 March, all from Sweden. Cannot get out of the country, let alone go on a cruise ship!

How is the charge and useage period calculated?

Message 4 of 28

henry_law
  • 13 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Used 48 days between 14 January and today. Not been anywhere out of Sweden. The only boat I have been on was the ferry across the river in Gothenburg. When the phone is not in use it is normally in airplane mode.
Message 5 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @henry_law 

Then you need to call O2. You haven't exceeded the 63 day limit.  (It's up to 63 days within a 4 month period)

All numbers for O2 are in this guide

Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

Advice from an O2 Guru regarding a way to get through:

When you call, you will be asked for the reason you are calling,

Stay silent for 15 seconds and you will be taken to the keypad options.

Press 2 for Everything Else

Press 5 for More Options

Press 7 for Anything Else which will put you though to an advisor.

Press Upgrade, Lost/Stolen or Fraud if you have to.

8am is the best time to call

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 28

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@henry_law If there was WiFi on the ferry, and you mistakenly didn't put the phone in airplane mode, it could have connected to that. WiFi charges on ferries and cruise ships is outrageously expensive.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 28

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@henry_law

I think you have fallen foul of the regulations, as the phone has not connected to the UK network for around 120 days and this isn't based on usage.

From the Regs:
As part of their fair use policy, your operator can monitor and check your roaming use over a 4 month period. If, during this period, you have spent more time abroad than at home AND your roaming use exceeds your domestic use, your operator may contact you and ask you to clarify your situation. You will have 14 days to do so.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/internet-telecoms/mobile-roaming-costs/index_en.htm

This is set in EU Law and UK Law. 

So in this instance o2 can charge you for EU usage, as per the Terms and Conditions. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 8 of 28

henry_law
  • 13 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for clarification. Typical EU complexities. I normally spend about 6 weeks a year in the UK and use the number then quite a lot, which is why I keep it. The last time I was in the UK was in December 2019 and planned to travel again in February 2020 but cancelled the trip at the last minute as I was expected that a travel ban would be introduced immediately due to Covid and that I would not be able to get back. And being in a risk group I have not been further than I can walk from my home since then (I live in Sweden) and naturally my UK useage has been nil.

If this information is on the web site it has been well buried.
Message 9 of 28

henry_law
  • 13 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

@henry_law If there was WiFi on the ferry, and you mistakenly didn't put the phone in airplane mode, it could have connected to that. WiFi charges on ferries and cruise ships is outrageously expensive.

The phone was at home.

Message 10 of 28