Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming in the USA

Salem874
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 42 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Is anyone familiar with roaming in the USA on an O2 SIM?

What's coverage like (which networks are used), and particularly data speeds?

I have the O2 Travel "bolt on" which does include data for a £5/day charge. Is this throttled? All information I find seems to suggest this data is "unlimited" which I find hard to believe, it must be throttled somehow. And would any data used as part of O2 travel (with the associated £5/day charge on the days any services are used) be taken from any allowance you have in the UK? How does it work exactly?

I'm heading over for about two weeks next week, so would be interested in knowing more as O2 travel didn't cover outside Europe the last time I was abroad.

Message 1 of 28
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144171 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

Data is heavily throttles on o2 travel.
You are much better off with a local sim card from T Mobile or AT&T etc when you are there.

For calls and text you get 120 mins and 120 texts per day 

O2 help here https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/international/using-phone-abroad

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

MI5
  • 144171 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

Data is heavily throttles on o2 travel.
You are much better off with a local sim card from T Mobile or AT&T etc when you are there.

For calls and text you get 120 mins and 120 texts per day 

O2 help here https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/international/using-phone-abroad

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 28

Salem874
  • 42 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the speedy response.

I dont envisage i'd need to use any heavy data, as i should have wifi the majority of the time while away.

Any idea to what extent (thresholds/speeds) data is throttled?

Message 3 of 28

MI5
  • 144171 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
0.5mps usually.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 28

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

To answer the other part of your question, any data or other usage as part of O2 Travel does not come out of your UK allowance. 

Message 5 of 28

Salem874
  • 42 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@jonsiewrote:

To answer the other part of your question, any data or other usage as part of O2 Travel does not come out of your UK allowance. 

Thanks, yes i did notice later that  you get 120 minutes & 120 texts. I then subsequently (i think) deleted that part of my question.

Message 6 of 28

Salem874
  • 42 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5wrote:
0.5mps usually.

Right, so not exactly 3G. good to know though

Message 7 of 28

MI5
  • 144171 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Not even close mate!

Currently using:
Message 8 of 28

iphone4sir
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 160 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
I’ll be in the states in a couple of weeks and will be using a local sim too - a shame as I don’t mind spending the £5 if it was any use. I used it in Thailand recently and whilst speeds where slow I was actually able To manage to upload to Facebook etc without major issues.
Message 9 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 122820 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@iphone4sirwrote:
I’ll be in the states in a couple of weeks and will be using a local sim too - a shame as I don’t mind spending the £5 if it was any use. I used it in Thailand recently and whilst speeds where slow I was actually able To manage to upload to Facebook etc without major issues.

@jonsiewho lives in Thailand now, uses a local sim and network and I believe he gets excellent 4G speeds @iphone4sir

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 28