Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming in the Sates

Noddy-Holder
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Am I right in thinking that roaming in the States is included in my monthly tariff? and that I don't have to do anything to activate it? 

I'm not entirely clear when I read the relevant sections of the web site.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

All explained here

Guide: Roaming MegaGuide 

Be aware that data is really unusable as it's traffic managed to 0.5Mb

Message 2 of 9

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23248 Posts
  • 1031 Topics
  • 3696 Solutions

@Noddy-Holder You should double check that roaming is enabled on your account. Contact O2 via social media:
Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB), Twitter (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW), or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG)

As @jonsie has said, data speeds are garbage unless you're a business customer. If you're going to be in the US for any length of time you should think about getting a Pay & Go local sim from AT&T or T-Mobile and use WiFi with WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger as much as you can.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 9

Noddy-Holder
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks both, so basically the included bit is useless!

If I pay the six quid a day, even in  the inclusive zone do I get a better service or is that not even possible?

I'm only going for 5 days so the 6 quid a day isn't much different from a local sim or esim which usually last a month and cost 25 dollars or so.

Message 4 of 9

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36610 Posts
  • 236 Topics
  • 1632 Solutions

If your tariff is over 30GB data, you should be able to get O2 Travel Inclusive as a bolt-on, so when in USA, it will give you 120mins or 120txts and some roaming data for no additional cost.

If on a different, tariff that does not give you access to Inclusive, then O2 Travel at £6 per day.

Again, data is throttled in USA, as highlighted above, @Noddy-Holder

Screenshot_20220828-135735.png

From mega guide:

Good news, our O2 Travel Inclusive Zone Bolt On is now included with selected O2 Refresh tariffs over 90GB and SIM only tariffs over 100GB. You can also select the O2 Travel Inclusive Zone Bolt On as your Extra if your O2 Refresh tariff is between 30GB and 89GB.

With our O2 Travel Inclusive Zone Bolt On, you get a daily allowance of 120 calls, 120 minutes and data roaming in 27 additional destinations (our Inclusive Zone) including USA, Australia and New Zealand. You you can find all of the the included destinations here.

Good luck!

Message 5 of 9

Noddy-Holder
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you. I'd have to be on the 6 quid a day tarrif then. Are you saying that is throttled too?

All a bit pointless!

If that is the case I'll just get an esim before I go.

Message 6 of 9

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23248 Posts
  • 1031 Topics
  • 3696 Solutions

@Noddy-Holder An esim from who?

If you're looking for one from T-Mobile see this: T-Mobile Prepaid eSIM app | T-Mobile Support

If it's AT&T see this: eSIM Activation Guide | AT&T (att.com)

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 9

Noddy-Holder
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks. I haven't really checked any out yet aside from airlo which I used for South Africa last month

Message 8 of 9

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10311 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3025 Solutions

@Noddy-Holder 

Unless you are a business or enterprise customer all data regardless of tariff is throttled in the US, this is partly due to AT&T and T-Mobile only supporting 3G roaming in many parts of the US.

If looking at data have a look at TruPhone

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 9 of 9