Did you mean: 

Roaming in Italy

R4W
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I'm just checking your current experience with Roaming in Italy, especially about speed and general 4G coverage.

I'm normally around Rome or Perugia, but I would be interested to hear in general how it is right now as I'm planning to switch to O2. Any comment is really appreciated slight_smile Thank you!

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

You can expect decent roaming speeds anywhere in Europe. Not necessarily 4G but decent 3G coverage certainly. We have customers who have roamed most countries and not had poor reports there.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

You can expect decent roaming speeds anywhere in Europe. Not necessarily 4G but decent 3G coverage certainly. We have customers who have roamed most countries and not had poor reports there.

Message 2 of 10

MI5
  • 144203 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@R4W 

There's good 4g coverage all over Europe but the problems arise when outside of Europe.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 10

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi @R4W, I hope the info above answered your question, but please do let us know if there's anything else we could help you with slight_smile

I went to Rome last year, and Perugia just earlier this month, both gorgeous areas! Do you go there for work or family/holiday, if you don't mind me asking? 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 4 of 10

R4W
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks @MI5 @jonsie @EmilieT , I'm more looking at some speed statistics. I don't want to mention names but with my current provider I even get 4G+ plus in South Rome and the speed is according to that (speedtests show more than 40 Mbps in download).

@EmilieT I have family near Perugia and in South Rome, that's why I'm interested more in those areas slight_smile Sometimes I work from there and it's nice to have a good connectivity, if I need it.

Message 5 of 10

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12061 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
If you have family out there then it might be worth getting a PAYG sim, topping up and posting it out there so they can check how it does @R4W.
At least that way you would know before making a potentially costly switch...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 6 of 10

MI5
  • 144203 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@R4W 

You will average between 12 and 18 Mbps in Europe.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 10

R4W
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks @gmarkj Will the PAYG have the same roaming speeds of the pay monthly SIM though? Unfortunately my inlaws will not be able to test the speed for me but I can try to workaround that.

Message 8 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@R4W 

There should be no difference in roaming speeds whether you are PAYG or Contract. I travelled to Spain frequently, initially on PAYG and then contract, the speeds were the same. Hope that helps and welcome to the forum Welcome

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 10

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12061 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
^^ that!
Historically (I think) PAYG used to be slightly better, but this was before the EU roaming legislation so now should be parity between the two types of customer.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 10 of 10