cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming charges

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm sure people have moaned about roaming charges millions of times in the past. However, I have just got back from holiday to find an increased bill this month. I had roaming and mobile data turned off as I left the UK. The bill only states that 3Mb were used, but at £7.20 a Mb I feel that there is something not quite right. My bill has doubled because of this, but I don't know how it happened.

I realise this is not exactly breaking the bank and it is unlikely to appear on the BBC news website anytime soon, but wondered if anyone had any similar experiences?

Thanks
Anthony
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
It was also a direct flight to Cuba.
Message 11 of 20

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
We like to try and solve mysteries though slight_smile
You aren't all that far from Miami when in Havana so I guess it could have flicked over without noticing, but either way, they have no choice but to refund you as no data is available to use when there so they can't charge you for something you can't get wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 20

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Sorry my PC crashed!

I thought it was weird when I posted the charges as Data roaming isn't available in Cuba...Confused

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 20

jonsie
  • 92912 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Presumably it only states international roaming and doesn't show the providing network. It's a long time since I had any roaming charges so I've forgotten how it shows on the bill. 

Message 14 of 20

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey @Anonymous did you have any joy tracking down what these charges were for? 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 15 of 20

Andrew_H
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 14 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Since 01 Nov, VAT is now applied on usage outside of the EU.  This explains the increased price.

O2 doesn't make any more money on this.

£6.00 (old data rate) + 20% VAT = £7.20.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-telecommunication-services-used-outside-the-eu/vat-te...

@jonsie wrote:

It's possible it picked up the airlines data though you would have to sign in normally for that. Interesting that thee new data price is £7.20. Outbloodyrageous and confirms that O2 is now all about the money. 

Message 16 of 20

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Andrew_H Ok thanks for that it is for the vat update so not o2 making the extra but the government etc 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 17 of 20

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

So yet again the wealthy tax dodgers ruin it for everyone!

The change is being made now because there is evidence that the ‘use and enjoyment’ rule is being exploited by businesses to argue that tax isn’t due on certain supplies of mobile telecommunication services within the UK. Making this change counters a threat to about £1 billion of revenue.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 18 of 20

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

So yet again the wealthy tax dodgers ruin it for everyone!

The change is being made now because there is evidence that the ‘use and enjoyment’ rule is being exploited by businesses to argue that tax isn’t due on certain supplies of mobile telecommunication services within the UK. Making this change counters a threat to about £1 billion of revenue.

Thanks for the info @Anonymous. Must admit I'm stunned about this and had absolutely no idea...Smiley Mad

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 20

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

if Costs were not already high. With out adding vat there just unreal

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 20 of 20