Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming charges in France from the new year

Jerry3
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi - my wife and I are in France where we are in the process of selling our second home. We both have O2 contracts. Do we know yet if we will be have to pay roaming charges from 1st January? We are likely to be here till April, when the house is sold.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Jerry3 Read this article. Roaming charges will not change immediately, but there's no guarantee they won't further down the road. Mobile roaming: What will happen to charges after Brexit? - BBC News

As far as you being in France until April, you will exceed the time limit that you can be abroad and use your phone without being charged or possibly have your service suspended. This is a quote from this link: EU Roaming Changes from 15th June 2017 “CONTRACT O... - O2 Community

"If you are going to be in a country for longer than a month or 2 then this is not classed a holiday or short break, so you need to be careful or you could receive a bill. O2 will SMS you first if this is about to happen and I would suggest you speaking to O2 customer care on 202 (Free from abroad on your o2 mobile) to verify or check anything."

Edited to add: O2 | Consumer Fair Usage Policy | Terms and Conditions

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 7

Jerry3
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for this. The BBC article seems to be out of date, now we are a couple of days away from Brexit. Is there more up to date advice yet, given the agreement agreed?

Covid has meant that we have been in France since March. It is clearly, in our case, safer to remain here rather than return to city life in Portsmouth, where we live. We are in the process of selling our French holiday home and will return in the spring when the sale goes through. Since w3 have been here, both my wife and I have upgraded our phones - mine upgrading with O2 and my wife transferring to O2 from another provider. No one mentioned me exceeding any time limits, or the service being suspended. My bills have remained as expected. However, I will talk to customer services today, as you suggest.

Thanks for your help.

Message 3 of 7

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9984 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
@Jerry3

This is the latest from o2 provided by Tech Radar:

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/mobile-roaming-charges-after-brexit-will-charges-return-for-travel...
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 7

KeefyW
  • 22 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@madasaf1sh wrote:
@Jerry3

This is the latest from o2 provided by Tech Radar:

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/mobile-roaming-charges-after-brexit-will-charges-return-for-travel...

This is a good article. Many thanks for posting, @madasaf1sh . It doesn't however state the dates the various companies issued their statements. Also the article was written before the deal was done. I guess the only way to be sure is to check for updates before we travel. Not an issue at the moment of course ! We are hoping to resume our regular visits to my (French) wife's family as soon as this damned virus lets us.

Message 5 of 7

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@KeefyW 

As soon as O2 have made any changes, they will announce it.

We have asked management to look into this for us as we are getting a lot of questions now on this very subject. thumbsup

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 7

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9984 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
@KeefyW

They have also announced via gov.uk the same information, as well as to all the press and are now saying the same thing on twitter to customers (via official o2 channels), and they would have had to announce before now to say anything was to change.
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 7 of 7