Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming Charge Confusion

Msindie
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Advised O2 was going to Canada and web advises Canada is included in the tariff. Last time I visited it was a £4.99 a day charge for data roaming. I chatted with 02 rep online who says it's not included and the daily charge stands. Arrived in Canada and received this
" Welcome to CANADA. Your tariff includes roaming here. You get 120 minutes, 120 texts and all the data you need each day at no extra cost, subject to our fair usage policy. Your daily allowance applies from midnight to midnight based on the local time of the capital city of this country. Charges for your usage whilst you're here may initially appear in your My O2 account but don't worry. If you stay within your daily allowance, you will not be billed and My O2 usage will correct itself within 3 hours of first appearing. If you go above your daily allowance you will be charged International roaming rates. For more information on International roaming rates visit www.o2.co.uk/inclusive-zone Call 112 for emergency services."
Now I dont know whether I will get charged or not for data and as it's a long trip don't fancy a huge bill on my return.
Can anyone please serve straight as I'm now confused.com! Thanks a lot
Message 1 of 22
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22939 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Msindie Clicking on the link in your post shows that Canada is one of the included destinations. A section in the link also says: "Free O2 Travel in our Inclusive Zone is available with selected phones and tablets on our 4GB, and 15GB and above O2 Refresh tariffs, as well as our £20 and above 12 month sim only tariffs. It’s not available on any other sim only tariff, O2 Refresh tariffs below 4GB, or 5GB and 10GB O2 Refresh tariffs." So make sure your tariff is one of the ones quoted. We normally suggest that if you have any queries, call and speak to customer service, rather than use Live Chat.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22939 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Msindie Clicking on the link in your post shows that Canada is one of the included destinations. A section in the link also says: "Free O2 Travel in our Inclusive Zone is available with selected phones and tablets on our 4GB, and 15GB and above O2 Refresh tariffs, as well as our £20 and above 12 month sim only tariffs. It’s not available on any other sim only tariff, O2 Refresh tariffs below 4GB, or 5GB and 10GB O2 Refresh tariffs." So make sure your tariff is one of the ones quoted. We normally suggest that if you have any queries, call and speak to customer service, rather than use Live Chat.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 22

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Good morning @Msindie

I can see how the text you received when in Canada confused you as it stated "included in your tariff". The 120 minutes, 120 texts and data (subject to O2's fair usage policy) is not part of your tariff but is included as part of the O2 Travel bolt on at a cost of £4.99 per day, a sum which you've paid in the past.

As far as I'm aware O2 is not in, or going to, Canada.

Please do let us know if we can be of any further help and welcome to the forum.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 3 of 22

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Thanks @Bambino, I clearly misread that.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 4 of 22

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MsindieYou are getting confused with O2 Travel and O2 Travel Inclusive.

It's confusing for many so you are not alone. Additionally the rep you spoke to added to even more confusion to the issue.

O2 Travel Inclusive allows you 'free roaming' as long as you meet the criteria re certain tariffs and selected phones...which is explained in the link below

https://www.o2.co.uk/international/travel-inclusive-zone

You WILL be eligible for O2 Travel (if you don't meet the criteria for O2 Travel Inclusive)

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/international/using-phone-abroad

Canada O2 Travel.PNG

You will get the above rates if you are on contract only

So for £4.99 a day you get 120 mins 120 texts and the Data you need

*You will need to make sure you have the O2 Travel Bolt on by texting O2TRAVEL to 23336

*You will also need to contact customer services to ensure there are no roaming bars on your account

Of course we always advise people travelling abroad to make use of Wifi as much as they can. That way you will not incur any charges whatsoever. If you keep in touch with family and friends you can use messenger or Whatsapp. 

I hope you have a great holiday and welcome to the forum  Welcome

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Msindie  I see from reading your post again, that you are already in Canada, and it's obvious from the text you received you are already on O2 Travel.

So the same info applies as in my post above. You are paying a daily rate of £4.99. You will only pay that rate if you use it. If you stick to WiFi as much as possible you won't be charged the 4.99 per day. On the days you can use wifi, turn mobile data off completely. Turn it back on again when you are not within a wifi zone.

Best of luck and again...enjoy your holiday. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 22

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Have a read of Darren’s useful guide here which should explain everything for you.
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/O2-Contract-with-O2-Travel-Inclusive-75-Free-Countries-a...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 22

Msindie
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Ohhhh.....duh lol. Thanks SO much!!!!
Message 8 of 22

Msindie
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks everyone!! Yes I had to switch mobile on when I arrived in order contact family and to make the original post. Totally 'get it's now. So glad I asked 😀
Message 9 of 22

Msindie
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks @Cleoriff 😀
Message 10 of 22