Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ridiculous charges

Charges1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Utterly fed up with the ongoing and ridiculous practice of flagrant overcharging on certain numbers. I’m using a “ mobile phone” and paying for the privilege. It’s about time this “con” was dealt with instead of continually allowing punters to be caught out time and again
Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

djbsuffolk
Level 9: Fired up
  • 140 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

To be honest @Charges1 you're shouting at the wrong people - O2 and other mobile phone operators operate within the regulations laid down by OFCOM - OK O2 are a business and will want to make money on these calls too but you would be better off contacting OFCOM about this - that's where the power to change things is, not at O2. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Charges1 

O2 is transpparent in their charging and details can be found on the website here https://www.o2.co.uk/help/account-and-billing/other-numbers-and-charges 

Community help here too Guide: Tips to avoid unexpected charges on your bill 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10

Charges1
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I’m not interested in scrutinising every last minute detail of how a phone company charges for a hundred different things
I’m interested in having a phone that allows me to make calls as and when I need to without trying to catch me out and extort disproportional charges from my account.
It’s about time these 0845 type call charges were consigned to history
Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Sorry, but customers need to take responsibility for their actions too.
Geographic numbers as alternatives to 084 / 087 numbers can be looked up here https://www.saynoto0870.com/
It is the companies that set up these numbers that profit from them too.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 10

Charges1
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I do take responsibility- I pay my bill
I’m having a moan about disproportionate and variable pricing for doing the same thing on my phone.
Nothing will change if no one complains about profiteering companies
Message 5 of 10

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

@Charges1 wrote:
I’m not interested in scrutinising every last minute detail of how a phone company charges for a hundred different things

No, but as the person paying the bill you need to be aware of what you are and will pay for.

o2 advise this when you take out the contract, and you can see this in your account on the app or the website.

If you choose not to read it then it is not o2's fault.

As previously mentioned, you can search for alternative numbers for most companies.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 6 of 10

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Charges1 wrote:
I’m having a moan about disproportionate and variable pricing for doing the same thing on my phone.

It is here you should be addressing your complaints to https://www.ofcom.org.uk/home

Currently using:
Message 7 of 10

djbsuffolk
Level 9: Fired up
  • 140 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

To be honest @Charges1 you're shouting at the wrong people - O2 and other mobile phone operators operate within the regulations laid down by OFCOM - OK O2 are a business and will want to make money on these calls too but you would be better off contacting OFCOM about this - that's where the power to change things is, not at O2. 

Message 8 of 10

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

@Charges1 wrote:

You are complaining to the wrong company.

o2 are charged by the company you are calling. The same company that has set up the 084/087 number you are calling.

If they had an 0800 number, or even just an 01/02 number, then there would be no charge.

Perhaps instead moan at those that use the 084/087 option...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 9 of 10

Charges1
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for that clarification.
New to this forum and therefore not fully conversant with its purpose and limitations.
Message 10 of 10