Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

Returning a PAYG iPhone - Can I try/test it first?

Hi,

Firstly, I have no idea if I have posted this in the right section! If I haven't I do apologise - I am new here.

I bought a PAYG iPhone (3GS 16gb) the other day from the O2 website. Afterwards I decided to do some 'network research' and saw alot of people saying how O2's 3g coverage wasn't good and that Orange is better.

So basically, I am now wondering if I should have gone with Orange instead... but I wont really know whether O2's 3g coverage where I live/work etc will be ok for me unless I actually try it! (I don't know anyone who has an internet/3g phone and is on O2 so can't ask them).

I've looked at the returns section of the website, but to be honest, it doesn't give much away.

How do I return or exchange my phone?
If you are not entirely satisfied with your purchase, you may return it to us within 14 days from the date of receipt to obtain a full refund or exchange. If you have used the SIM card, you will still have to pay for the pro-rated line rental amount and any charges outside of your allocated allowance.
Please contact Customer Services and they will advise you on how to process your return or exchange.

It doesn't state whether the phone needs to be unused, or even if it's not meant to be opened (how are you meant to know if you are unsatisfied with something if you can't actually open the packaging, or even test it out - I thought that's what the Distance Selling Regulations were for?).
Highlighted
Topics: 247
Solutions: 1,614

Yes you can try it out, you just have to pay for any usage.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Highlighted
Anonymous

Normally it has to be returned "as new". E.g. if you scratch it you may not be entitled to a refund, so treat it gently!
Highlighted
Anonymous

Thanks guys.

I just thought you could only 'use' a pay monthly phone and then send it back within the first 7/14 days, not a PAYG one.

I'll be very careful with it!
Highlighted
Anonymous

Distance selling regulations always give you 7 days to return it in an "as new" condition if you are not happy. However, return postage is often the buyer's responsibility.