Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returning IPhone X

Alexandrapc9
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
So after having my IPhone X after three weeks it started to have some problems while filming and sometimes the screen didnt respond at all. I called to return it and have my money back but now J realise that they send me the bag to return it AND the delivery to swap for a brand new IPhone X. I dont want a new one, I just want the money And I am not really sure what to do next. English is not my first language and it gets really hard to talk with someone by phone.
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Alexandrapc9wrote:
The problem is that both the bag to return AND the delivery to swap the phones are coming. Can I just refuse to give the phone to the delivery man?

Yes refuse delivery and ask the courier to return it, but you also need to follow the instructions in the link I gave above so that O2 knows you want a refund.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 22

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@MI5wrote:
You can return a faulty device within 30 days for repair, replacement or refund.
O2 help here https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/our-returns-and-repairs-policy

So who decides that the phone is faulty? If it's the purchaser, then the 14 day cooling off period doesn't apply to anyone. What if the purchaser just isn't using the phone correctly, or caused the fault themselves? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 12 of 22

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Bambinowrote:

@MI5wrote:
You can return a faulty device within 30 days for repair, replacement or refund.
O2 help here https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/our-returns-and-repairs-policy

So who decides that the phone is faulty? If it's the purchaser, then the 14 day cooling off period doesn't apply to anyone. What if the purchaser just isn't using the phone correctly, or caused the fault themselves? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Ultimately it is O2 who decides.

From the link....

faulty2.PNG

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 13 of 22

Bambino
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

So the OP still has to send the phone back and there's no guarantee they'll get a refund. O2 could decide to either repair it or replace it, and if it's the latter they could get a refurb. Is that correct?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 14 of 22

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
No, if it is faulty, the OP can choose to have a full refund.

Currently using:
Message 15 of 22

Bambino
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Okay. I'm just playing devil's advocate here, so if someone knew what they were doing, and didn't like the phone they bought, they could create a fault and return the phone for a refund within 30 days. Is that correct?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 16 of 22

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Obviously I don't know how O2 determine a "fault" or even if they could detect malicious damage, so it wouldn't be something to recommend.
You don't need an excuse within 14 days anyway, which should be enough to decide if you like the phone or not and the 30 day rule is there due to consumer protection laws so needs to be abided by.

Currently using:
Message 17 of 22

Bambino
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I only asked those questions because it seems that from the OP's first post, the phone is probably repairable or replaceable, but the OP has just decided they don't want the phone any longer. From what you're saying, they're within their rights, so I guess that's that.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 18 of 22

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
If it's faulty and within 30 days, yes, it's their right to ask for a full refund.
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-faulty-product

Currently using:
Message 19 of 22

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I know all about the consumer laws and 14 and 30 day periods regarding refunds etc, however, from the opening post and description it sounds very much like a factory reset after backing up would fix the faults. Obviously the OP needs to go through the troubleshooting process as well as the reset but they won't just take his word that the phone is faulty. The first thing they will do when they get the phone back will be a factory reset and I suspect that they will then decide the phone isn't faulty.

I do hope it does turn out to be faulty so the OP doesn't end up with the same phone back, a phone I think perhaps he has decided he doesn't like and has left too late to simply return as a change of mind. Hopefully there is a happy outcome and the OP will come back and update the thread. I'm very interested in the end result....

Message 20 of 22