cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requesting a specific mobile number (last few digits) - who do I contact?

busybeeathome
Level 1: Joiner
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Good afternoon,

I would like to make a request with O2 to personalise the last 6 digits of my mobile number. The team on Twitter told me I could do it by calling Customer Services on 202 - so I did. I called twice and both times the people that I spoke to said it's not something they offer, and could change my number to a random number only.

So I tried the team on live chat, they told me to ring Customer Services. So again I rang Customer Services and they said they understand what I'm asking, but it's not something they can do. Again they offered to change my number but to a randomly allocated number.

I've searched and searched for a contact email address and I cannot find anything at all. I've made it clear that I understand there is a charge for this service and I am more than happy to pay that charge if I can get the number combination that I'm after.

I know this is a public forum but does anyone know which team I need to speak to and how I can get in touch with them without jumping through hoops?

Thank you

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Apologies @busybeeathome I'm a bit late to the party here. Did you still need some help with this or are you sorted now? 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 11 of 17

busybeeathome
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi @Martin-O2 

I still don't have a solution. The customer service team have since told me they can offer this service, and said they asked me to hold whilst I was transferred to the relevant team. I did, for 35 minutes, and the line went dead with no answer or message at the other end, just the dead tone.

I appreciate the teams are busy, but what is most frustrating is the lack of clarity around whether it's possible or not. I've just had so many mixed messages from the teams at O2 and chat/customer service / twitter all say different things. 

I have, however, since purchased a personalised number from another network - it was really easy and I just pay for it through my bill. The whole process took about an hour, and was all done via email.

I would still be interested in purchasing a number from O2 and the prices - IF this is something you offer. If it isn't, the teams really shouldn't be sending me round and round to different departments - there's clearly some process or information informing the members of the team that it's possible, otherwise they wouldn't say it was - surely.

Message 12 of 17

bigdavie88
Level 9: Fired up
  • 144 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 14 Solutions

It is possible. I know this as I used to do this when i worked for o2.

The number your after would probably be a silver class number which was at the time £250.

The process involves the o2 adviser picking the most recent prefix number available which i think is 07936 going by your previous post and they then add on the last 6 digits to this that you need to see if this number is free/not in use on the ABS system. It may be that the number may not be available so would be good to come up with a few permatations of this until they find one which is first of all available and is also a pay monthly number on that system.

Its a service that was rarely asked for hence why the agents you speak to have no clue what to do.

Message 13 of 17

busybeeathome
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for your input. It's good to know that it's possible (or was). I've spoken to an O2 employee in store since they re-opened as I needed to get my phone repaired anyway. He has told me that a team can select a number and they can search from all of the available O2 numbers in the unused directory. It just needs to be a number that has not been used for a certain period and is back in the 'general pool'.

He said there's no way of doing it in store just now but customer service can, but they're only dealing with urgent enguiries just now. Whilst it's totally understandable, I  bet I get a "no" when I call after all this. 

Message 14 of 17

busybeeathome
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I know there are so many other things going on right now, but I'm just asking if anyone at O2 can help me with this. Hope things are all okay.

@Martin-O2 

Thank you @bigdavie88  for posting - you didn't have to, so thanks!

Message 15 of 17

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9988 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@busybeeathome

Out of curiosity which network offered you the gold number and paying for it via your bill?

As @bigdavie88 said o2 used to offer this service, and at a cost, but it was very rarely used.

I have just had a look on of our o2 price lists and it is only available to Enterprise Customers and the last costs where (from April 2019)

Gold Number £690+vat
Silver Number £440+vat

The best way to do it nowadays is to go on ebay and see what numbers are available and buy it as a PAYG sim card and port the number in.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 16 of 17

Ms_Dee
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
It can be done for a charge. Call 202 (voice team) from your O2 number. They will do it for you. If you're not calling from your O2 phone then call 0344 809 0202.
Message 17 of 17