Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement battery versus phone upgrade

Robert2
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all, advice welcome, please and thank you! I've been with O2 and its previous identities for over 30 years now but android technology is leaving me behind 😂

I have a Huawei handset on Pay Monthly contract (a 'Custom' monthly charge of around £15). The tariff is perfect for me as I don't use the phone that much but can't really do without it at the same time.

Ideally I would be able to buy a new battery for the phone as the charge isn't great nowadays.

Q1 - However, am I right in thinking that batteries need to be professionally installed and that I would have to be without my phone for some days if obtaining one?  This wouldn't be practical for me and if it is the case then I assume I would need to upgrade my phone. This leads to question 2...

Q2 - I would be happy to pay for a new phone via O2 but do not want my Pay Monthly Custom plan to increase... is it possible to upgrade the phone but retain the monthly terms? I was told online by someone in the upgrade team, unless it was a 'bot', that I must pay higher charge if upgrading. The person wasn't particularly polite or professional and I'm not convinced of their advice. 

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23906 Posts
  • 1043 Topics
  • 3769 Solutions

@Robert2 If you've had your handset for some time you won't be receiving any security updates any longer. If that's not an issue for you, then you could probably find a High Street mobile repair shop to install a new battery. Bear in mind that some phones have obsolescence built in, and it may not be possible to change the battery in your phone at all.

Take a look at the offer suggested by @jonsie, or go to the USwitch site and shop around. You may find better offers there: Mobile Phone Deals: Compare Contracts in August 2024 - Uswitch

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93898 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7017 Solutions

You would have to take a new tariff when upgrading your phone

To retain your tariff, buy a phone direct from the manufacturer

For example Samsung do a mid-range phone (A55) that you can purchase monthly for around £15/month over 2 years

That would be my preferred option

Message 2 of 4

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23906 Posts
  • 1043 Topics
  • 3769 Solutions

@Robert2 If you've had your handset for some time you won't be receiving any security updates any longer. If that's not an issue for you, then you could probably find a High Street mobile repair shop to install a new battery. Bear in mind that some phones have obsolescence built in, and it may not be possible to change the battery in your phone at all.

Take a look at the offer suggested by @jonsie, or go to the USwitch site and shop around. You may find better offers there: Mobile Phone Deals: Compare Contracts in August 2024 - Uswitch

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 4

TallTrees
Level 50: Versatile
  • 11218 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 374 Solutions

AND 

@Robert2 

Argos do lots of mobiles and great offers too very often.  My view  update your phone dont put new money into old tech.  and enjoy ... good luck😊

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 4 of 4