cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement SIM: Can we keep old number with PAYG

Anonymous
Not applicable

We had a Pay As You Go SIM when we were in the UK last year and we still have a very small credit left on it, which means the SIM is still active and hasn't been cancelled yet.  We will be back in the UK again in a few months.  Only problem is, we can't locate the SIM card!  We wanted to keep the SIM card because the number is actually quite a good one and an easy number to remember.  

My question is:  Does anyone know if we are able to keep our old number if we have to organise a new SIM?   I didn't want to use the Replace Sim card option on the O2 website, without understanding what was going to happen.   I'm not fussed about losing our credit (it's only 6p), but really just wanted to retain the number we used on our last visit.   I guess if we have to, we'll just organise a new card again, but would really like to keep the old number!   Any ideas? 

BTW, we are in Australia and I have thought about calling O2, but time differences make it a little difficult!  Any thoughts/advise would be welcome!

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

You may find that if the sim hasn't been used for 6 months it may have been disconnected although only yesterday I had the same problem. My son is over from Berlin and hadn't used his sim in 8 months. A quick call to customer service and they reconnected it and reinstated the credit.

I realise calling from Australia isn't really practical so your best option woul be to use the Chat link in my signature. The UK hours for chat are around 8.00am - 9.00pm.

Let us know how you get on.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

You may find that if the sim hasn't been used for 6 months it may have been disconnected although only yesterday I had the same problem. My son is over from Berlin and hadn't used his sim in 8 months. A quick call to customer service and they reconnected it and reinstated the credit.

I realise calling from Australia isn't really practical so your best option woul be to use the Chat link in my signature. The UK hours for chat are around 8.00am - 9.00pm.

Let us know how you get on.

Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey - thanks for the super quick reply!  I will try the online chat - it just seems every time time I think about it it's either too early or too late and the chat is off-air!   Might have to set an alarm to remind myself!  Thanks again.  

Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE:   I have just chatted online with their "Live Chat" person and it looks like I have two options:   I can either opt for a new SIM card with a new number - or - alternatively, call through to Customer Service who will be able to go through the security questions with me and perhaps sort it over the phone.  

I think if I had used the phone more recently (ie: within the last 3 months) it may have been fixed via the online web chat with a new card (same number) without any charge incurred. 

Unfortunately, it's been 7 months since we used it; so therefore, the online chat person could not clear "security".    Bummer!

I might give the phone call a try - luckily we have reasonably priced calls to the UK. 

Just thought I'd post this in case anyone else was interested. 

Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
UPDATE: I have just chatted online with their "Live Chat" person (thanks for the Link) and it looks like I have two options: I can either opt for a new SIM card with a new number - or - alternatively, call through to Customer Service who will be able to go through the security questions with me and perhaps sort it over the phone.

I think if I had used the phone more recently (ie: within the last 3 months) it may have been fixed via the online web chat with a new card (same number) without any charge incurred.

Unfortunately, it's been 7 months since we used it; so therefore, the online chat person could not clear "security". Bummer!

I might give the phone call a try - luckily we have reasonably priced calls to the UK.

Just thought I'd post this in case anyone else was interested.
Message 5 of 5