cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renewal query

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

My contract will renew tomorrow and I am able to upgrade my handset which I was just intending to do right now.

As a previous PAYG user, my query is, will my current phone continue to work as normal right up until I have turned on the new upgrade? Or is there a chance I could lose access on my current phone once a new one has been dispatched? As I'm way on business in a couple of days it's a bit of a dilemma and not a risk I would like to take without being sure.

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

If your new phone takes the same sized sim card there should be no break in your service. If you have to change sims, there can be a break of up to 24 hours before the new sim is activated, but it's normally quicker than that. You will need to use the swapmysim service online, or go in store and they will do it for you there.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

The O2 service will continue on your current sim until you activate the new sim. A sim swap process takes around 24 hours to fully activate if your needing to move your contract and number to a new SIM card if it's a different size than to the one your using now.

Here's the link just incase.

http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk

Message 2 of 11

Bambino
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

If your new phone takes the same sized sim card there should be no break in your service. If you have to change sims, there can be a break of up to 24 hours before the new sim is activated, but it's normally quicker than that. You will need to use the swapmysim service online, or go in store and they will do it for you there.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks slight_smile

I have just looked at the upgrades page and to my surprise it seems like I would have to pay extra for a new handset upgrade. I assumed I could continue paying the same bill as I am currently with a newer phone. I know nothing is free nowadays, but I expected some sort of package deal like when I signed up 24 months ago.

Current phone is a Galaxy S2 and the phone I'm looking at is the S4.

Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
It does pay to shop around at the independents such as CPW

Try ringing O2 on 202 to see what they could do for you too.
Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Realised after I posted where I purchased the original contract and have already found a much more suitable upgrade deal there. Thanks again.

Message 6 of 11

Bambino
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Third party sellers have been found recently to be much cheaper than the deals found directly with O2. Glad you were able to find what you were looking for.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
You're welcome.

Take care.
Message 8 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ordered the upgrade yesterday and then last night received a few texts which were suggesting internet based settings were being updated. Bit strange considering I am still using my current phone and nothing appears to have changed.

New phone just arrived complete with new sim card. My question now is, could I just use my old sim card in the new phone? New phone is on a 4g tariff, but old phone is not.

Edit to add that new phone is a Galaxy S4.

Message 9 of 11

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

If your old sim card isn't a 4G one you will need the new one.

You can move your number to the new one here:

http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk/

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 10 of 11