Refund immediately after online purchase

Alexandjef
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hello

Wondering if anyone can help.

I went online and took out a new ipad contract, with a 495 upfront deposits that I would get back after 3 months.

I right away changed my mind due to realising I made is mistake and couldnt really afford the device so I called and asked for my order to be cancelled.

I was told it was, but they couldn’t stop the charge. I rang my bank who couldn’t help, so rang back and told the order was being processed, but scedualed to be cancelled and when it was I would receive the deposit back in about 2 weeks back to my o2 account (which I don’t have!) and I could then have it sent back.

I THEN got an email to say the order was to late to cancel - so had to just turn the delivery down.

So I rang back - and some said the order was being cancelled and the money would be back within 72 hours. They confirmed the previous information was incorrect - but I’m still unsure.

Does anyone know how and when I will see my £500?
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144312 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
It'll take at least 10 working days to get it back.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122905 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Hi @Alexandjef 

This is a hard one to be precise really.

You have been told so many conflicting stories. Normally a cancellation such as yours would result in a return of monies within 72 hours to 10 working days. However that would not include the weekend.

The only problem is believing what you have been told. 

I would ring Customer service again tomorrow and and double check that the order is actually cancelled.

Check your bank as well. Normally they hold the money for a while before payment is made.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 19

MI5
  • 144312 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
In this case, the order has been accepted so the money is sitting in O2's bank gaining interest.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122905 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

It may well be.

However, I was posting when no-one else had, so just shows quickly I read the original post (and how slow I am at typing) 

Either way @Alexandjef needs to keep checking their bank to see when the money is returned and they also need to ring customer services to check which of the 3 conflicting stories is correct.

I'm not actually convinced any such cancellation has taken place. 

(As we have seen before on this forum)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 19

Alexandjef
  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
How reliable is the return of deposit after 3 months, what I originally signed up for?

Worst case and I end up with the device, I guess I could wait a few months and just get a refund and take the device as intended.
Message 6 of 19

Alexandjef
  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
And thanks for the replies - I call them again tomorrow and just get confirmation it’s indeed cancelled correctly. They said I should see something by the/wed next week but to call back if I haven’t - and if I need to I can wait for a few weeks, but have £500 just floating about rather than back in my account is a little stressful.
Message 7 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122905 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@Alexandjef 

I think you are right to double check tomorrow. 8-8.30am is the best time to call.

Best of luck and I hope your money is returned asap. Please come back and let us know what happens?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 19

Alexandjef
  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Yes, thanks and will do.
Message 9 of 19

MI5
  • 144312 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@Alexandjef as long as you pay your bills on time, you will get your deposit back after 3 months, which means you will see it as a credit on your 4th bill. You can then choose to leave it to pay further bills from or ask for it to be returned to your bank account.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 19