Did you mean: 

Refresh and upgrading.

AnnieRiver
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, 

It's nearly time for me to upgrade on my 'normal' 24 month contract which I habitually do to get a nice, new, shiny phone. However, logging in to my account I see that I have the option of changing to a 'Refresh' contract and although I've read a lot of the information I still can't work out if it would be advantageous for me. 

Will I still be able to upgrade my phone, whichever phone I choose on Refresh, at the end of a certain period of time as I do now. ie choose a phone (always one with no up front fee) and simply carry on? Or would I be stuck with the phone I took out, as I thought I read that you can only upgrade like this with certain phones on Refresh? I'm going all googly eyed trying to find the exact info. 

Any clarity would be gratefully received

Thanks!

AnnieRiver

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yes, you will be credit checked if moving from a standard contract to refresh, this is because of the additional cca required for the refresh part of the contract.
If you are happy to just upgrade every 2 years, there's no benefit to you moving to refresh.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 15

AnnieRiver
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Yes sorry, I used the wrong terminology. They are calling it an upgrade but I would be switching from a standard plan to a refresh plan. I appreciate the responses but some have said that I can upgrade on Refresh as with my standard plan and some have said that i can only upgrade with certain phones/tariffs so I'm still not sure on what's correct. 🙃
Message 12 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

They usually call it Speed To Refresh when they are trying to get you to upgrade or on a new contract 

Message 13 of 15

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@AnnieRiver wrote:
Yes sorry, I used the wrong terminology. They are calling it an upgrade but I would be switching from a standard plan to a refresh plan. I appreciate the responses but some have said that I can upgrade on Refresh as with my standard plan and some have said that i can only upgrade with certain phones/tariffs so I'm still not sure on what's correct. 🙃

You can have any of the phones in the shop on refresh.

But, don't confuse refresh with the 12 month upgrade on us, as that is something different that only applies to certain phones.

Basically you have refresh, which is any phone o2 sell directly on which you can upgrade at any time by paying off what you owe on the device plan, or

Upgrade on us, which means you can hand your phone back after 12 months and upgrade without paying off the device plan yourself.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 15

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Bear in mind too, if you take a standard 24 month contract you pay the same tariff until you terminate the contract,With Refresh your payments reduce once the device is paid off.
Message 15 of 15