cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommend Smartphone Insurance to me

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am looking for a dedicated insurance policy for my iPhone 5 and would appreciate some advice on my options.

I already have AppleCare for the mechanical warranty (yes I am aware of the difference between the EU Statutory limited warranty and the AppleCare extended warranty).

I am looking for Accidental Damange, Loss and Theft cover - what, in the US, would be the AppleCare+ plan which is not currently available over here in the UK. I do not want to tie it in to my household policy because that will adversely affect my premiums in the case of a claim. The House always wins, remember.

I would prefer to know about the more comprehensive policies. While the phone is not a business critical phone so does not need a Gold Next Day "delivered to your hand by dusky maidens" service, I would prefer to avoid Honest Joe's Phone-Cover-4U policies and stick with a good brand of insurance.

So... what are my options here folks?

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions
I have the American Express gadget insurance which covers all my gadgets for £9.99 a month. That has a zero excess too and you don't have to register anything up to £250. Above that and to £1500 is covered but not gadgets over 3 years old. Personally, it suits me as I'm carrying new items now otherwise I'd not bother and do what Perksie does.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

I would recommend you do your own resarch on the web as making recomendations here can be very subjective.

We insure all our phones (business) on a dedicated business insurance contents / all risk policy and have not had to calim yet. We were with o2 but ditched it due to very high costs and again no claims for 5 years. 3 iphones costs approx £30 a year to add to the policy and an ipad has just worked out at about £12 a year £100 excess.

Try bank account etc

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 4

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I would prefer to self insure by putting some money away in a savings account and topping it up until it reaches the value of your phone.

The O2 Insurance scheme doesn't seem to be good value:

http://www.o2.co.uk/money/mobileinsurance

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 3 of 4

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions
I have the American Express gadget insurance which covers all my gadgets for £9.99 a month. That has a zero excess too and you don't have to register anything up to £250. Above that and to £1500 is covered but not gadgets over 3 years old. Personally, it suits me as I'm carrying new items now otherwise I'd not bother and do what Perksie does.
Message 4 of 4