Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving SMS and calls abroad

mjay2000
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello, I’m going abroad on the 9th of May for 2 weeks to the Philippines, I am aware if I want to SEND SMS and calls abroad — I need O2 travel — if it’s outside of the O2 Europe Zone/EU. 

But my question 1) is do I need O2 travel to RECIEVE texts and calls abroad? On the O2 travel page it says that O2 travel bolt on won’t be activated by RECEIVING calls or texts and you will only be charged for any services used while abroad. Is it correct to assume my number will have signal and won’t be blocked if I go abroad without subscribing to the travel Bolt on and I won’t incur extra charges for receiving texts or calls?

As I use this number for work/verification services for important accounts etc.

This question is important as I will not be activating travel Bolt on, if I can still receive texts or calls while abroad as I don’t plan to send texts via sms (iMessage) or call anyone either.

2) When activating Travel Bolt on “Standard Rates in our Europe Zone - Bolt On will be
removed straight away”, this is normal and you won’t be charged extra rates in the Europe Zones. Is my assumption correct? As previously you had to have a bolt on in Europe but now if it’s within the EU, there’s no extra charges?

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9988 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@mjay2000 

You dont need o2 travel you use your phone overseas, it is a bolt on for some countries and you pay a daily fee for it

o2 Travel doesnt apply to the Philipinnes, so you will pay to make and recieve calls and also for sending SMS and MMS ( see the Guide: Roaming MegaGuide  )

Receiving SMS is free

I will warn you it gets very expensive 

From Rest of World

Making calls £2min
Receiving calls £2min
Sending texts 50p
Using data £7.20/MB
Making calls £2min
Receiving calls £2min
Sending texts 50p
Using data £7.20/MB
Making calls £2min
Receiving calls £2min
Sending texts 50p
Using data £7.20/MB

Within the EU you can use your call and SMS allowance as in the UK, but data is capped at 25GB (or your data allowance if lower)

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9988 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@mjay2000 

You dont need o2 travel you use your phone overseas, it is a bolt on for some countries and you pay a daily fee for it

o2 Travel doesnt apply to the Philipinnes, so you will pay to make and recieve calls and also for sending SMS and MMS ( see the Guide: Roaming MegaGuide  )

Receiving SMS is free

I will warn you it gets very expensive 

From Rest of World

Making calls £2min
Receiving calls £2min
Sending texts 50p
Using data £7.20/MB
Making calls £2min
Receiving calls £2min
Sending texts 50p
Using data £7.20/MB
Making calls £2min
Receiving calls £2min
Sending texts 50p
Using data £7.20/MB

Within the EU you can use your call and SMS allowance as in the UK, but data is capped at 25GB (or your data allowance if lower)

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 5

CraigTomo
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hey there, hope you can help as O2 and Samsung are unable too.  I travel abroad (EU) quite often with work and after being with Vodafone for like forever, when they eventually stopped their inclusive roaming I was stumped. However, I saw O2s TV advert that they were still doing it and so I switched to them, PAYG, as I was with Vodafone.. My number was ported and all good. My first trip abroad, Spain and Gibraltar, and I couldn't receive calls. My phone would simply alert me, with an SMS, that I had missed a call. After this happened a few times, I got a colleague, who was literally sat next to me, to call, and put it on loudspeaker and the call doesn't even connect, just goes straight to my voicemail.  I can call out OK, so it's not a "signal" issue, and this happens in multiple locations too. 

Also, whilst I receive SMS OK I cannot send SMS.  O2 and Samsung have tried everything, no joy. My phone was originally quite dated, an S8+ but I have since purchased the newer S20+ in the UK, only a few days before my next trip abroad however, arrived in Spain and again, same issue.  

I am also aware of the fair usage policy but literally have had hardly any usage and so not related to the none access, and wouldn't make sense that I can still browse the internet fine and make outbound calls. 

Thanks

Message 3 of 5

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35218 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

If your phone is off-net, calls to voicemail if enabled result in a txt, if set.

SMS are free to receive when roaming.

Take a look at this Guide: Roaming MegaGuide and then check you have credit.

Also your Voda settings need be changed to O2's for Data too:

1. Tap the Menu button.
  2. Tap Settings.
  3. Tap Wireless and networks or More... (depending on your version of Android).
  4. Tap Mobile Networks.
  5. Tap Access point names. (APN)
  6. Tap the Menu button.
  7. Tap New APN.
  8. Enter the following data into the onscreen form, without changing any other settings:
    Name - o2 Internet
    APN -  (PAYG - payandgo.o2.co.uk)
    Username - (PAYG - payandgo)
    Password - password
  9. Tap the Menu button.
  10. Tap Save.
  11. Enable the newly-added APN by ensuring the line is ticked, or the radio button is lit by tapping on it.

Message 4 of 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@mjay2000 and @CraigTomo If you download WhatsApp and are using WiFi you can call and text anyone else who also has the app for free.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 5