cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: The European daily data allowance cut from the 1/7/2013

Anonymous
Not applicable
This morning I got the following text from O2:

"O2: The amount of data you get with O2 Travel is changing from 1 July 2013.

Find out more at http://s.o2.co.uk/o2travelpg/0voPYV

Terms apply. To stop texts, call 2220."

The link lead me to this information:

"O2 Travel Pay & Go

From the 1st July 2013 we're making a change to your O2 Travel service.

Data in Europe

Your Daily Data allowance will be changing to 15MB for £1.99/day (Inc VAT), that's enough to check Facebook, update Twitter and browse the web; it's also more than the average person's usage when in the UK.

When using data in Europe we'll also send you text notifications keeping you up to date with what you're using. You can add more data to your O2 Travel allowance at any point during the day. If you need more data you'll be able to reset your allowance for a further £1.99 (Inc VAT) by texting MORETRAVEL to 21300 which will give you an additional 15MB, these texts cost 7p (Inc VAT).

You can opt out If you don't want O2 Travel, you can choose to pay our standard rates in Europe by simply sending us a text:

- Just text TRAVELOFF to 21300
If you want to move back to O2 Travel at a later date

- Just text TRAVELON to 21300

Our Standard rates in Europe from the 1st July are:

- Calls back to the UK and within Europe - 24p per minute.

- Receiving calls in Europe - 7p per minute.

- Texts sent to the UK and Europe - 7p and free to receive.

- Sending a media message - 25p.

- Data is 46p / MB.

(All Prices Inc VAT)"

Why is the O2 daily European data allowance for pay & go customers being drastically cut on the 1/7/2013 from 25mb to 15mb for £1.99?

I am not happy with this & can see no good reason for this to happen at all besides greed on the part of O2.

I have been trying to lodge a formal complaint with O2 about this all day but have so far been unable to find the way to do this.
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Free Wifi seems to be an endangered species in certain countries so that's not always convenient or possible.
I'm just peed of because I can get 1gb per month in the uk but have to pay through the nose for data if I go abroad. £1.99 for only 15mb really is taking the urine.
Message 11 of 21

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Not true there are more and more places offering it now.

Jonsie is in Thailand now and uses it continually for example.

Also the reports seen here suggest most people find it without too much difficulty.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 12 of 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
What about a local sim card?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
In my experience it is true in places like Poland for example. Free wifi is rarer than rocking horse poop there.
Tried the local SIM card option there to but they seemed no cheaper than O2 for some reason. Hence my gripping.
Message 14 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Actually good move I think. 7p to send a text, better than 8.5p
Message 15 of 21

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Unfortunately there's not much in places like Poland full stop(from my experience).

I like the line how its more than people in the ukash average use. Funny if that were remotely true why are there 1gb plans:/
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 16 of 21

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

well the eu set a rate for data in the eu, and the o2 travel of £1.99 for 15mb brings it even lower that the eu set data rate How is this an issue yes they have reduced it (it is a promotion not part of any core tariff)

EU rate per mb is 69p a mb so 15mb is £10.35 yet it is £1.99 with o2 travel saving £8.36 a day or 15mb block bought.

As it is a promotional tariff extra The complaint will fail.

see clause 22 of the t&c

We may remove or discontinue O2 Travel at any time.

http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/o2travel-paygo-terms-and-conditions

Edit just seen the data rate per mb on payg will be 46p not 69p as stated now on payg o2 travel info so £6.90 a day non o2 travel so £4.91 cheaper per 15mb block (all rates change for payg and pay monthly 1st july 2013 in line with the eu regs) http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-12-316_en.htm

To look at the linked table for £1.99 o2 are not making any money out of the deal as the wholesals cost to o2 in euros is 15 cents max a mb.

So when o2 was giving 25mb it was actually costing them money and at the rate then of 25 cents per mb o2 was losing a possiable £1.25 for every 25 mb

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 17 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Glad to see O2 are bringing it in line with pay monthly now we just need the same call charges
Message 18 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, what if I will need data travel merely for using google maps and navigation? will it eat a lot of data? will be 15Mb enough a day ?

Message 19 of 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, what if I will need data travel merely for using google maps and navigation? will it eat a lot of data? 

Kinda depends on how long you are using nav for?

10 miles = not much

1000 miles = very much

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 20 of 21