Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

Random data charges on bill after midnight

I have just noticed random data charges on my bill. They appear most nights after midnight (when I'm sleeping) and are for a data transfer of around 5-15kb each time.

I don't have email setup and I am obviously not using the internet at that time (I used wifi anyway - no data allowance in contract).

I can only think that some app is doing it to upload/download data but can't figure out what. I am tracing through my bills to see when it started and try to associate it with an app I've installed.

Has anyone else experienced similar, and can you point me in the right direction to a solution?

BTW My phone is a Nokia 5800xm.
Anonymous

If it's an iphone your using you can go to settings and switch of all the push notifications for the apps that you have and just to be safe I would go to settings > mail, contacts, calanders > fetch new data and set the push to manual. If it stops showing the data usage at midnight, you'll know that its cause of the apps.
Topics: 293
Kudos: 1,845
Ideas: 6
Solutions: 1,310

the data charges are shown for all phones they aggregate usage it is not happening then just being accounted for. I will link later to another similar topic where it is explained better.

see here viewtopic.php?p=246823#246823 it is an iphone thread but affects all handsets using data
iPhone xs 256gb on 20gb tariff o2 open discount
iPad Pro 11” 2018 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Anonymous

Re: Random data charges on bill after midnight

Im getting these charges every night and o2 say they know nothing about it- thats its just calculating my usage for that day. But for past 3 days I have not used the phone other than making calls and texting. Does anyone know why its happening?

something maybe accessing the internet.
Which phone do you have so someone can point you in the direction to disable the access points.
Apple Watch series 4
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Anonymous

I have the iphone 3gs. Have turned off all my push notifications and even my email and only have 2 apps.

are you running ios4? if yes also turn cell data off
Apple Watch series 4

Anonymous

Yes its ios4 as updated software last week. Do you mean data roaming as that is off?

no cellular data off below enable 3g and 2 above data roaming
Apple Watch series 4

Anonymous

Thanks I have done this although on my phone its called mobile data but assume its same. Will see how it goes at midnight tonight but find it strange have to do this and that o2 say nothing to do with them