cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query on upgrade pay monthly contract on O2 Refresh

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am due an upgrade on my phone and I see you now offer a separate charge for the new mobile device and the network minutes.  If I upgrade and subsequently end my contract will I be expected to pay the remaining money towards the device if I want to keep it? 

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144064 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Yes, that is how you end the contract now - just by paying off the handset cost which subsequently becomes yours to keep.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
If the OP took on a new handset and then paid it off in full, do they have to keep paying the airtime element for the full 24 months or can that be ended at the same time?
Message 3 of 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144064 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Either keep the tariff going (at a reduced rate minus the handset costs) or take a new contract with new handset and pay the relevant price for that or walk away completely without owing anything else.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous

It's all here for you to digest.

http://www.o2.co.uk/refresh/frequent-questions
Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you from me as well BoB as I too was confused. Explains it to me too now.
Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Happy to help. slight_smile
Message 7 of 11

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
O2 refresh is quite popular for discount hunters, especially on fresh released handsets.
They get them on refresh, and immediately pay off the handset price and give 30 days notice.
For example
Sony Xperia Z2
Refresh price £20 per month
Immediate pay off £480
+1 month airtime £25
+handset upfront payment £19

That meant, on release day you could get an xperia z2 for £525 on o2 refresh buyout.
Next cheapest was three at £589
Message 8 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have wondered if this is how it worked hence my question earlier.

One downside though is that the handset would be locked to o2 and, in some cases can't be unlocked for 6 months or more (via o2). Of course you could unlock elsewhere but that may void warranty.
Message 9 of 11

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
I've always put in requests on day one and never been turned down being honest.
A lot of people do this then once they get code, they unlock and then flash a debranded rom.
In cases where o2 have exclusive colour etc debranding and unlocking will definitely increase resale value.
Like I said, a LOT of resellers use o2 refresh and free unlock services.
Message 10 of 11