Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public IP or pure TCP/IP internet connectivity

evantkh
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 366 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

When I am using the data, something is interesting.

Firstly, somewhere accept my connection and then establish a connection outside. I find that something accept my connection even though that IP is not associated to any host. Can be discovered by a port scan on a different TCP ports.

Secondly, when connecting to different addresses, different public IP addresses are used. When I load one page from site 1, I get the first external IP. When I load second page from site 2, I get the second external IP. When I refresh the page from site 1, I get back the first external IP, and breaking certain IP-based security.

Does O2 provide any public IP for use or pure TCP/IP internet connectivity which guarantee same external IP of the data session?

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

I got bored after finishing my training.. so I had a chat with Network services, and they're saying O2 has a set range of IPs that wil interchange when necessary on a telephone mast(s).  They did say if you're looking for something more "fixed" you should speak with Business as they might have that function.. (i used your example as a base line) -- but to be honest other than that, I don't think we have anything like that over here, that HK do - commerically available (for O2 anyway).  Sorry 😕

*does Jedi Mind trick*  These are not the IPs you are looking for...

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

As I'm not tech savvy (at all really) so don't really understand your question it sounds like something an O2 employee might know...

As you've had no reply yet I'll give our community manager a shout out @Toby who might be able to shed light on your security concerns..!

Sorry I'm not any help but hopefully Toby might be able to find out for you! 

Message 2 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Tech support is tour best bet.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 9

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

I Think o2 allocate a dynamic ip address per session and per mast if moving

Without delving into the test mode of a phone you may not notice that

If each handset had a static ip address then o2 would soon run out of its allocation of ip4 addresses.

But maybe as above toby can enlighten us all

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 9

evantkh
  • 366 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Public IP does not mean static IP.

What I want is external IP won't change during a data connection session.

Phone IP address should have nothing to do with the mast. Same public IP(directly assigned to phone) can be used on different mast on certain ISP in Hong Kong.

Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Typically each area/city has it's own allocation of IPs that it will jump around where needed (based on congestion and mast normally).

Similar to ISP connections your base IP remains the same up until the Gateway DNS, after which the external IP will change where needed, and to help maintain stability and increased connections on each/every network.  Systems these days are designed that it manages them enough that you don't need to think about it.

However, if you are looking or static IP connections on a mobile phone you will likely have to go private, as the UK mobile networks provide dynamic IPs (for the above reasons), private IP address assignments are usually heavily reserved as there won't be many of them - and some mobiles don't appreciate static IPs outside of WiFi/Home Broadband connections, as they can cross over already used IPs and create havoc.

Until that is, everyone uses IPv6 addresses in which case Static IP allocation might be more likely, as the sheer amount of IPv4 addresses that are still unused = next to nothing.

Message 6 of 9

evantkh
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 366 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Again, public IP does not mean static IP. I need IP to be unchanged(either external IP of NAT or a public IP assigned to devices) for each data session(certain online services verifies the IP of the client and the log on IP), not persistent between different data sessions. The mobile ISP I use in Hong Kong does provide public IP(the same IP ia shown in mobile phone status and online check ip websites), which does not change when travelling between different masts, and will be changed when I turn off and on data. Nothing to do with static IP. I don't know why all of you are thinking about static IP.

Whether IP is static or dynamic has nothing to do with whether private or public.

Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ahh... sorry I must've missed that part.. my apolygies.. *goes off unit* give me a min.. i'll lookie at something on my Edge.

*comes back* from what I can tell from what I've tried.. I keep the same IP when I turn off Mobile Data and back on a few times...  as for other masts.. I finish work at 4:30 so if want, I'll repost here when I get home, as I'll go past few masts on the way.. best I can do, in that respect really.. but it might help a little with your query slight_smile

Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

I got bored after finishing my training.. so I had a chat with Network services, and they're saying O2 has a set range of IPs that wil interchange when necessary on a telephone mast(s).  They did say if you're looking for something more "fixed" you should speak with Business as they might have that function.. (i used your example as a base line) -- but to be honest other than that, I don't think we have anything like that over here, that HK do - commerically available (for O2 anyway).  Sorry 😕

*does Jedi Mind trick*  These are not the IPs you are looking for...

Message 9 of 9