Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

Problems with my insurance.

Hello
I got my iphone 3g 10 months ago.
Not long after getting it i dropped it and cracked the screen Smiley Indifferent
I have insurance on the phone that i took out when i purchased the phone but didnt bother claiming as the phone still worked and wasnt causing me any problems.
A month ago the phone stopped working and would not charge at all. 2 weeks later i took the phone to my nearest o2 store (100 miles away) and they advised i claim from the insurance as the warranty wont cover me because the screen is cracked.
In the meantime i took the sim out and was using a different phone because i was still paying for the contract.
When i spoke the insurance people they advised they would not replace the phone as i had taking the sim card out and it had been more than 2 weeks since the phone stopped working and i would need to go back to the o2 store.
When i advised i had been to the o2 store already they said they will replace the phone if the o2 store wont fix it and i can prove i went into the store within 2 weeks of the phone breaking.
I dont even know if the people in the o2 store will remember me? Theres no point in going all that way for them to tell me they cant do anything.
And im still paying for a phone i cant even use?! :robotsad:
Anonymous

Well firstly the sim card is irrelevant, insurance can't be refused for you taking it out. There may be a legal argument if you put a different sim in as most insurances do ask for the IMEI and the phone number to be insured.

However you did continue to use the handset so they could argue that you accepted the damage as OK and therefore they need not cover you.
Anonymous

O2 insure terms.

Exclusions
• We will not cover the first £25 of each successful claim (excess fee) – see Exclusion 1
• We will not cover theft when your mobile phone has been left unattended in a public place – see Exclusion 3
• We will not cover loss where your mobile phone has been left unattended in a known location – see Exclusions 2, 3 & 4
• We will not cover the cost of repairs that fall within the manufacturers' warranty – see Exclusion 13
• This contract only covers your registered device while connected to and containing your registered O2 SIM card and mobile number –
see Airtime Agreements/Use of SIM cards

What to do if your phone is lost, stolen or damaged
You must contact O2 Customer Services and the relevant authorities within 48 hours if your mobile is lost or stolen, or within 14 days if
your handset is accidentally damaged.
See full details below. To contact O2, call the number printed at the top of your monthly bill, or find
your Customer Services number at o2.co.uk/aboutO2/contactus
Anonymous

Hi,

I had a similar problem. I had an LG Viewty on upgrade, a few months later I started using a Nokia Fold. Then I lost this phone, rang them to claim on the insurance and the woman said to me "You've been using a Nokia Fold, yes?" and when I agreed she told me the insurance wont cover me because it only covers the phone you had from your contract. So I had been paying £6 a month for a good few months for invalid insurance.

Was so angry but there is nothing you can do. I just told them to cancel the insurance and to send me a copy of the terms and conditions. I rang them 3 times to request this, and no one ever sent me a copy. Oh well!
Anonymous

Yes i continued to use the handset after i broke the screen as it was still working, then like i had said, it randomly stopped working, to the point where i could no longer charge the phone, i wasnt using it then. That was when i took it to the O2 store.

I didnt put a differant sim into the broken phone, i took my existing sim and put it into another working phone.

At THAT point the phone was unusable, so as far as im concerned should it not be replaced as i went to the o2 store within the 2 weeks as i was told?

Im at a loss as the o2 phone line tell me they wont help unless the o2 shop can verify my last time in their store,

But like i said, 100 miles away is a long way for me to travel, especially considering the likely hood of them even remebering me at all.

If i knew for sure that going to the o2 shop would lead to me getting my phone replaced, by the insurance i have been paying for, then i would go there.
Anonymous

Hi,

I had a similar problem. I had an LG Viewty on upgrade, a few months later I started using a Nokia Fold. Then I lost this phone, rang them to claim on the insurance and the woman said to me "You've been using a Nokia Fold, yes?" and when I agreed she told me the insurance wont cover me because it only covers the phone you had from your contract. So I had been paying £6 a month for a good few months for invalid insurance.

Was so angry but there is nothing you can do. I just told them to cancel the insurance and to send me a copy of the terms and conditions. I rang them 3 times to request this, and no one ever sent me a copy. Oh well!

Hi Ully,
I think "insurance" is just a scam to get more money out of us to be honest!
Insurance is ment to give peace of mind not cause more stress!! :robotmad:
Anonymous

Forgot to say that the reason the phone isnt working isnt because the screen is crack because they told me this in the shop. They said its a problem with the battery, so i dont mind if they can fix the screen as long as they can fix the battery.
Would it be worth me buying a new battery myself? Smiley Indifferent
Its already broken and cant be fixed by my insurance so i cant make it any worse?!