cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Duckduckgo.com - images search not loading and fav icons, problems with IP/DNS?

Gabrio
Level 1: Joiner
  • 22 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

hi there,

i personally use https://duckduckgo.com as a search engine which i really like. i noticed that for some reason when i am on o2 network either 4G or 3G, doesn't matter, the image search is not working, it shows all broken images.

the images are loaded from proxy.duckduckgo.com which seems not to be resolved on the o2 data connecion.

can someone tell me why?

i like DDG as a search engine for privacy reasons.

example, here i am on my connection at home and no problem loading

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.aeVtwDnvKISpr7Xuya...

that is the url of what is loaded when you go to images search and open in new tab.

finally here's what i get

duckduckgonowork.PNG

can anyone try this if it happens on your end as well? i think o2 network does not resolve proxy.duckduckgo.com

many thanks,

Gabrio

Message 1 of 30
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hey all,

Good news is nobody is crazy and nobody has weird settings on their phone causing these issues. As a responsible network operator, we have an age verification system in place to help protect minors, or those who don't wish to be exposed to potentially age sensitive content.

I have checked the website classification for duckduckgo.com on our end and it is correctly classified as "Search, Dynamic Site". That is, our filters recongise this as a search website that contains dynamic content - which has the potential to display age sensitive materials. Yes, DDG & Google have a built-in safe search, but if a child wanted to get around this then it only takes a few clicks and no real age checks, whereas our age verification means only an adult can disable such a safety net.

The way the website is classified is, our filter checks it in real time and if it believes the search page contains adult content, then it will block it for anyone who isn't age verified. If it doesn't detect adult content, then it will not block the results for anyone who isn't age verified. This explains why many here were able to load this fine (likely age verified), while you and some others weren't (non age verified).

Hope that helps explain the situation slight_smile

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

View solution in original post

Message 27 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
Same for me aswel n on Wi-Fi it works
Message 2 of 30

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
Worked fine on 4g with o2 on the Samsung browser not on chrome
Message 3 of 30

Gabrio
  • 22 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
thanks for letting me know. same as here.
Message 4 of 30

Gabrio
  • 22 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
that is a bit strange, for me on both browsers same thing.
Message 5 of 30

Gabrio
  • 22 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

anyone else experiencing this?

thanks,

Gab

Message 6 of 30

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Oneplus6 chrome browser O2 4g network.

Screenshot_20190104-204222.jpg

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 30

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Gabrio
  • 22 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
It has to be something with my samsung settings possibly.

I just downloaded duck duck go's app browser and does just the same. All broken images. Also with incognito and samsung browser. Oh on my wife's phone does just the same. Galaxy s8.

Someone had a similar issue on a pc and he whitelisted proxy.duckduckgo.com that is where images are loaded from and fixed that.

Also for me no problem on any wifi, ehich is the strange thing...... if it was something on the phone it shouldnt work on wifi either right??
Message 9 of 30

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I forgot to add, Samsung Note 4. Tried on both O2 and home wifi so not a Samsung thing.

Message 10 of 30