Did you mean: 

Problems setting up a hotspot

ManthaMoaner
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hello fellow users.

I am trying to set up a hotspot on my phone (LG D-821), but can't get it to work.

I set up the hotspot as per the instructions. My laptop can see this and connect to it, but it isn't connected to the internet. Nor is my phone.

It seems that my phone can only connect to the internet by using WiFi to connect to a network. If I turn the phone Wi-Fi on then the hotspot disappears.

I have a pay monthly account with a data allowance. Shouldn't the phone be able to connect to the internet using this, and thus create the hotspot?

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ManthaMoaner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Heh, you're going to like this. I hadn't thought of turning the blooming thing off and back on. That fixed it. Thank you all very much for taking the time to help out my silly self, and I hope you and your families all stay safe and well!

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

O2Sean
O2 Support
O2 Support
  • 148 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 10 Solutions

Hi @ManthaMoaner ,

You should check your internet settings on your device. 

Android APN settings for O2

Here's how to manually add the O2 mobile internet settings on an Android phone.

1. Open Settings from the Home screen.
  2. Tap Wireless and networks or More (this'll depend on your Android version).
  3. Tap Mobile networks > Access point names.
  4. Tap the Menu button (this could be the lower left soft key, 3 dots in the top right corner, or the word 'more').
  5. Tap New APN.
  6. Type the following:
  • Name: o2 Internet
  • APN: mobile.o2.co.uk 
  • Username: o2web 
  • Password: password
  • MMSC: http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002
  • MMS Proxy: 82.132.254.1
  • MMS Port: 8080
  • Authentication type: PAP
  • APN type: If you're given a choice of options, pick internet+mms. If the keyboard shows, type in a * symbol.
  1. Tap Menu > Save.
signature
Message 2 of 9

O2Faisal
O2 Support
O2 Support
  • 97 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi @ManthaMoaner Hotspot will only work over mobile data activated on your phone and not when your phone is connected to wi-fi. Can your phone connect to mobile data, if it can and you can access the internet using mobile data then your hotspot should work. Try turning off your wi-fi on your phone. Also ensure you haven't used up your mobile data allowance. This can be done by accessing Myo2. If you don't have Myo2 on your phone you can go to Myo2 via your mobile web browser such as chrome and as long as your wi-fi on your phone is off can see what your allowance is.

signature
Message 3 of 9

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It's possible you are on the incorrect data package on your contract

Call customer service and ask them to connect idata

Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

Message 4 of 9

ManthaMoaner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thank you for the replies.

@O2SeanI followed those instructions, but I'm afraid the problem remains.

@O2FaisalI think this is the problem. As far as I can tell the phone can't access the mobile data, it can only connect using WiFi. I haven't used up my allowance.

@jonsieThank you, but I just received a text from O2 asking people to only call CS in urgent circumstances (which this isn't, it's just that my regular WiFi is terrible) so I won't do that for now.

Message 5 of 9

O2Faisal
  • 97 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Ok that's getting somewhere. If you cant access mobile data from your phone, you can check do a couple of things.

1. If you have previously been able to use mobile data, check to see if its turned on and there aren't any restrictions turned on from within the connections settings, which is normal if your phone has the inbuilt mobile data usage limit turned on, turn this off.

2. Check the myo2 network status app to ensure you are in a good coverage area and there arent any known network issues.

3. If you have the ability to check your sim in another phone to see if mobile data is working and vice versa another o2 sim (family member) and put their sim into your phone to see if data is working or not, this will narrow it down to whether its the sim or phone causing the issue.

4. Check mobile data connection settings from within the phone menu and if absent, then follow the instructions by entering the settings manually (already shared in the post)

If you get stuck, let me know and I'll do what i can further to help.

signature
Message 6 of 9

ManthaMoaner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Ah, it turns out I can't get on to the internet using the phone WiFi either. It won't connect to the available network. It has connected to this network before, and my laptop is currently connected to it (it's institutional internet, I live in sheltered accommodation. This is why it's so bad!).

This means I can't get the myo2 network status app you mention, so can't check point 2.

Point 1 is fine. By point 4 do you mean the instructions in the first reply to my original post? If so, I followed those.

I'll try point 3 when I see my fellow household member later.

Message 7 of 9

ManthaMoaner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Heh, you're going to like this. I hadn't thought of turning the blooming thing off and back on. That fixed it. Thank you all very much for taking the time to help out my silly self, and I hope you and your families all stay safe and well!

Message 8 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@ManthaMoaner wrote:

lol yahoo

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 9