Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem porting old number

Jchappy
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have tried porting my old number from Virgin Mobile 3 times in the last week with no luck. Twice i used the online form and then out of frustration called to support who checked I had a valid PAC code, took both my O2 number and my old Virgin number and entered them all into the system and confirmed that the port would happen today.

Still no success. Where do I go from here.

I received an automated email from support saying that I would receive a text telling of the day it would be ported. I have received no such text.

Also when I submitted the 2 online forms I received no notification that anything was happening.

Does anyone at O2 test these procedures? Can anyone help to get this resolved.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 7822 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 1644 Solutions

@O2Emma Can you help here?

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 13

O2Emma
  • 1198 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 34 Solutions

Hi @Enlli  I will pick this up thanks.

signature
Message 3 of 13

O2Emma
Former Staff
  • 1198 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 34 Solutions

Hi @Jchappy I will send you a private message to look into this for you.

signature
Message 4 of 13

Jchappy
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Everything resolved Emma. Thank you very much.

I think O2 need to look at why filling out and submitting the online form for number porting does not seem to get any action.

Also though the porting went through today ok there were no emails or text messages generated by O2 to tell me this would be happening. Only your confirmation. Again it says on the web site that I would get a text message before to notify me of the date of the port.

Thanks again for your help.

Message 5 of 13

CoffeeAndComps
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Jchappy @Enlli @O2Emma 
Can anyone confirm if the online form for porting a number into O2 is still available?... I'm sure there used to be a link on the page below, although I don't think it ever worked when I tried to use it, so perhaps that's why it's been removed!

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/device-and-sim-support/how-to-keep-your-mobile-number

Is it really only possible to submit a PAC code and port a number over to O2 by calling customer services or visiting a store?!... come on O2, all the other mobile networks offer an online service to do this, surely this is something that customers should be able to do online in 2023?

Message 6 of 13

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38267 Posts
  • 240 Topics
  • 1729 Solutions

Have you skimmed through the last para of this Community Guide, @CoffeeAndComps: Guide: Migration & porting into O2 ?

Message 7 of 13

CoffeeAndComps
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for that.  I did have a look through, but unless I'm missing something, there's nothing there that's not on the O2 website page I highlighted, which is the same page that the community guide page links to.

Also, neither page addresses the main question I asked of how/if you can action a PAC code online to port your number across from another network to O2, which I can't believe I'm the only person that would like to be able to do this online!

As I mentioned, I'm sure there did used to be an online form for this, linked to from the "keep you mobile" page on the O2 website.  I never managed to get it to work myself, but it looks like it's been completely removed, and the only way to do this now is to call the customer services team or visit a shop.  That's not really ideal for a lot of customers, especially for anyone who English is not their first language, as is very often the case for the people we help with digital support issues through the community organisations I'm involved with.

Hopefully O2 will recognise how useful this would be to a lot of their (potential) customers, and re-instate a (working) online for or service to port numbers across to O2, just as most of the other mobile networks have already got.

Message 8 of 13

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38267 Posts
  • 240 Topics
  • 1729 Solutions

Hi @CoffeeAndComps - Go to "My details" https://accounts.o2.co.uk/manage then scroll down to the bottom where it says "Leaving O2" (or similar).

Once you have received your security text, you should get your PAC on-screen as well as in a text:

Screenshot_20230312-065546.png

This is only possible if you have a single number registered in your MyO2 - multiple numbers mean a call to 202, sadly. And yes, the old page with a form on it seems to have been removed.

Good luck.

Message 9 of 13

CoffeeAndComps
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This is for getting a PAC to port your number if leaving O2, NOT for using a PAC (that you’ve already got from another network) to port your number INTO O2 which is what I’m asking about.  You’d think that any network would do everything possible to make this process as quick and simple for new customers, but obviously not O2!

FYI, to get a PAC if leaving O2 (and most other networks) you can simply text “PAC” to 65075 from the number you want to transfer away, you don’t need an online account or have to go through the pain of calling customer services.

Message 10 of 13