Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Price increase

RC280
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am being asked to pay an extortionate amount from April 2024. The new proposed amount will be roughly a 30.6% increase to my original contract amount. This is not justifiable and I wasted nearly two hours on the phone with an O2 customer service rep in Phillipines who was unable to help and very poorly trained. He told me the information on the O2 website is wrong and both him and his supervisor know better.  He raised a ticket after wasting 2 hours.  Sad state of affairs.  Anyways what rights do I have against such extortion??  Can I take this matter to someone higher up in O2 or even escalate this to Ofcom? 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146772 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28245 Solutions

@RC280 

Some emails sent were wrong and some just contained an example.

You can calculate your 8.8% increase by using the calculator here RPI - 2024 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 8

RC280
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 Hi there, thanks for your response. Yes I did check that. They increased it incorrectly in April 2023. Admitted the fault after wasting a  lot of time and then applied a £5 credit to fix the issue. They have ended that discount at the same time as this new increase and increase by another 8.8%. So my new tariff will be 28% higher than my contracted amount. Still pretty extortionate and unacceptable. Have raised this issue with them again. Hoping to get a resolution this week. Thanks for your help. Cheers

Message 3 of 8

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93262 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10576 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3093 Solutions

Will ask the same question where do you get 28% from?? Is this a finger in the air and pick a number in the lottery type thing @RC280 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 5 of 8

RC280
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@madasaf1sh @I was given the new figure by O2 Customer care. Which was 28% higher than my original tariff. 

Message 6 of 8

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37205 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1697 Solutions

Did you perhaps have a 6 month discount that expired or disappeared last April (or similar), @RC280?

Last RPI was 17.8% or so, this year's is 8.9% or so, still shy of your 28% figure... This example shows how percentage figures can skew the real cost...

PSX_20210501_214319.jpg

Message 7 of 8

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12339 Posts
  • 95 Topics
  • 1146 Solutions

It sounds like you had a promotional discount on your tariff @RC280 which has ended at the same time (or will end) as the annual price rise.

I got round this recently by "upgrading" to a new sim only deal via USwitch (which is cheaper than my current deal!)

Their prices are locked in until April 2025, and if you are on a 12 month deal you would be able to upgrade again next year to avoid the next price rise.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 8 of 8