cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Premium number

Anonymous
Not applicable
Last month I was billed 8p for premium rate I neither subscribed to nor used please stop the number 83838 and ask them for a refund please
Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 124293 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7524 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

This is a customer to customer forum and we are unable to block the number for you. You must have subscribed to something yourself O2 give advice on how to unsubscribe here http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref%28User%29:str%28Mobile%29,CASE=54566

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Cleoriff
  • 124293 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7524 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

This is a customer to customer forum and we are unable to block the number for you. You must have subscribed to something yourself O2 give advice on how to unsubscribe here http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref%28User%29:str%28Mobile%29,CASE=54566

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
You may have clicked a link while browsing the Internet, easily done I'm afraid
Message 3 of 14

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
I'm inclined to agree, Facebook are awful for this type of scam/unauthorised charges.

Call 202 if you're on contract or 4445 for payg and ask them about this charge. Be aware though, O2 aren't obliged to refund you, of the company that's charged you insist you signed up/clicked their link.

Phonepayplus are the people that deal with this, just Google their name and you'll see how to contact them!
Message 4 of 14

MI5
  • 147070 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28289 Solutions
http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/
and help here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Are-you-fed-up-with-spam-calls-and-texts-Follow-...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 5 of 14

jonsie
  • 93331 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

If that's the correct short code it must be relatively new 

http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/number-checker/check-a-number-results or its not a premium rate. What are texts about and what is the charge? 

Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gindygoo wrote:
I'm inclined to agree, Facebook are awful for this type of scam/unauthorised charges.

Call 202 if you're on contract or 4445 for payg and ask them about this charge. Be aware though, O2 aren't obliged to refund you, of the company that's charged you insist you signed up/clicked their link.

Phonepayplus are the people that deal with this, just Google their name and you'll see how to contact them!

That's why I don't have facebook on my phone!

Message 7 of 14

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
↑ me neither.

It's shocking how often you read about this happening? Imo it's time that this practise was outlawed.

Message 8 of 14

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13534 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
That short code is the MBNA text alert service.
Bet the op has the card but did not realise "text alerts are charged at your standard rate"
Message 9 of 14

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13534 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

@MBNA website wrote:

Using the Service
Requesting information

Providing we have your mobile number on record, simply text* one of the following terms to 83838:

BAL - to get details of your balance, available credit and credit limit.
TRANS - to get a list of your most recent transactions.
BILL - to find out how much your next payment is and when it's due.
REWARDS - to find out your Reward Points balance (where applicable).

Important - all details provided by text message will be based on available account information from the previous day and may not include transactions which have been authorised, but not yet applied to your account.

To request information by text message while you're abroad, use our international number: +447860010010.

Making a payment

Have you made a debit card payment to us before and is that card still active? If so, we have your details securely stored and you can make a payment by text message. Here's how:

Text BILL to 83838 to get information about your next payment - if a payment is due simply follow the instructions included in our response to make a payment by text message.

We'll send you a text message asking you to confirm the 3 digit security code from the back of your debit card. Respond correctly and we'll process your payment using the debit card details you last used.

We'll also send you a text message to confirm whether your payment was successful.

{alt}
Multiple credit card accounts

If you have more than one MBNA or partner credit card account, please include the last four digits of your card number when you text for information or to make a payment. Without this, we won't know which details to send.

For example: BAL 1234

Security

Please remember, you're responsible for keeping the information we send to you secure and confidential. We recommend that you secure your mobile device with a PIN to protect your information.

Read more about mobile security.

Contact us

To use Mobile Text Services you'll need to make sure we have your most recent contact details - to update your contact details, log in or register for Online Card Services then select ‘Manage Account'.

For your convenience, we suggest you save our Mobile Text Services number as a contact in your mobile phone: 83838(or +447860010010 from overseas).

* To use this service you must have provided us with your mobile number. Standard network charges may apply.

Take note that last line...

Message 10 of 14