Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Premium Texts charges

vos
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have been subscribed to premium text service without my knowledge. I feel like it is a scam by whoever had my phone number. I have not sent any texts to that number, but received from them 'you are now subscribed for premium texts 3x £3.50 a month. This effectively meant that they sent me some meaningless text and charged £3.50 for it. How is this possible and allowed? It says 'text stop to 66299'. What if I send it and it's just another charge. Do customers have no protection from such obvious scams? Disappointing.

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@vos 

Help here Guide: Have you fallen for or been conned into a premium rate scam? What to do next 

Also see here https://payforitsucks.co.uk/

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@vos 

Help here Guide: Have you fallen for or been conned into a premium rate scam? What to do next 

Also see here https://payforitsucks.co.uk/

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

There is normally another charge when you text STOP, a confirmation text back generates the same charge.

Message 3 of 7

vos
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Interesting. I am very careful, when it comes to using my phone. Never would I have thought that this kind of scams are allowed to be performed. There is no chance to avoid it, as you can hide anything in Javascript, even disguised as a 'Close' button. Is there no way of blocking the whole service?

Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@vos 

Ask customer service to put a block on your account for charge to mobile and direct to bill.

Recent rule changes should help reduce these scams further too.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 7

vos
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for all the help and prompt replies.
Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
You're welcome

Currently using:
Message 7 of 7