Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Premium Number Charges

Bishybarnybee
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
My bill showed a charge for calling a premium number I knew I hadn't called. Further investigation revealed it was an O2 number. I had dialled 4444 from my pay monthly phone to top up a friend's PAYG O2 phone and O2 had diverted me to the premium number without any warning and then charged me for the to up call.

I have topped up this PAYG phone during the last 3 years via 4444 without any call charges. I've been told the call charge will be refunded but why is this suddenly happening now?

Does this mean I can't top up friends & family from my pay monthly phone any more?
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Hi @Bishybarnybee I'm sorry but the CS is advising you wrongly by saying you shouldn't use a contract phone to top up a mobile on PAYG. As you say, you have been doing it for 3 years with no charge. I have been doing exactly the same for over 4 years.

In fact since I posted last on this thread I have just topped up my sons PAYG phone again. I wasn't charged at all this time either. Just because it isn't usual doesn't mean it can't be done... as you and I have both proved.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 28

Bishybarnybee
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I contacted Customer Services to ask for some further clarification on topping up a PAYG phone from my pay monthly phone using 4444.

I have been advised that using 4444 again will incur further charges as it is classed as a Service Call.

I was told I should use 2202 in future for topping up as this does not incur charges. It looks like something has changed but not sure what or why.
Message 12 of 28

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Thanks for the clarification guys! This has been escalated now so I'm just waiting for a response. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 13 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

And yet as I said @Martin-O2 and @Bishybarnybee I topped up my sons PAYG phone (from my contract phone) last night by simply dialling 4444. I topped up successfully and did NOT incur charges, nor was I diverted to another line, so that's all the evidence I need wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 28

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Cleoriff Yes its very odd that it would suddenly start doing this! Fingers crossed we can get this sorted quickly. 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 15 of 28

Bishybarnybee
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
  • Hi @Martin-O2 is there any response from the escalation yet?
    Are we any nearer finding out what has changed?
    I'm still unclear as to why I was diverted and charged for dialling 4444 now (when I have previously used it with no diversion/charges and others like @Cleoriff are still able to do so) and whether the diversion/charges will happen again unless I use the different number (2202) advised by Customer Support?
Message 16 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@BishybarnybeeI think @Martin-O2 will be online about 9am.

I will be interested to hear the outcome of this as well. I have been doing it for years without incurring costs so I am hoping O2 dont see it as a loophole which they need to close!

Bottom line, we are topping up phones which is money going into the coffers of O2.Why should they charge us for this service? They don't charge 'commission' for any other type of top up....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 28

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey @Bishybarnybee, unfortunately I don't have an update yet. I chased this up yesterday and the team are still looking into what would have caused this charge. 

signature

Message 18 of 28

Bishybarnybee
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi @Martin-O2,
Is there an update on the cause of these charges yet?
If not, please can you just confirm if it's OK to use 4444 from a Pay Monthly phone to top up a PAYG mobile without incurring charges for the call?
Message 19 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Hi @Bishybarnybee. I'm sorry but @Martin-O2's mentions aren't working today so I will ask @Marjo if he has any news. As you know as I have said before on this thread that I top up my sons PAYG phone from my contract phone without any problems or cost to me.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 28