Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Premium Number Charges

Bishybarnybee
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
My bill showed a charge for calling a premium number I knew I hadn't called. Further investigation revealed it was an O2 number. I had dialled 4444 from my pay monthly phone to top up a friend's PAYG O2 phone and O2 had diverted me to the premium number without any warning and then charged me for the to up call.

I have topped up this PAYG phone during the last 3 years via 4444 without any call charges. I've been told the call charge will be refunded but why is this suddenly happening now?

Does this mean I can't top up friends & family from my pay monthly phone any more?
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144326 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
How much was the charge?
I've never heard of any o2 shortcodes being chargeable.
Advice on premium rate texts and calls here for reference https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Have-you-fallen-for-or-been-conned-into-a-premi...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 28

Bishybarnybee
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
The charges were £1.08 and the premium number I was diverted to is 08456 062277
Message 3 of 28

jonsie
  • 93228 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions
They diverted you to the national number. I'm not sure why that has happened. Call customer service and they should refund you or use live chat on the complaints link
https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain
Message 4 of 28

MI5
  • 144326 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
OK, so not a premium rate, just an 0845 number which carries an access charge.
i assume because the shortcode is deigned for a PAYG phone it automatically diverts to the network top up line.
Cheeky to charge other o2 customers for this and pleased they have said they will refund you, as they should.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 122912 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Quite ridiculous. I top up my sons O2 Payg go phone from my O2 Contract phone and have never been charged once....I wonder if it was some sort of glitch in the 4444 system?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 28

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey guys I'm not aware of any changes being made to the 4444 number but I'll check with the team just in case. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 7 of 28

MI5
  • 144326 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Just for clarity @Martin-O2 it's an issue calling 4444 (a PAYG shortcode) from a contract phone, not necessarily changes to the 4444 number in itself.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 122912 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Martin-O2to also clarify.... I top up my sons PAYG phone regularly from my contract phone and have never been charged at all. I just dial 4444 from my my keypad. There is never a call diversion. The automated voice welcomes me to the O2 top up PAYG  line and away I go.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 28

Bishybarnybee
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you for the feedback everyone. The consensus seems to be that I shouldn't be diverted/charged for using 4444 from my pay monthly phone.

For the last 3 years or so I have used 4444 from my pay monthly phone to top up friends & family PAYG phones with no problems and no charges. That is why I can't understand why I was diverted and charged this time.

I have been told the charge will be refunded but the support person couldn't explain why it happened or confirm that I wouldn't be diverted/charged the next time. He just suggested I shouldn't use 4444 from a pay monthly phone as it was intended for PAYG phones - which doesn't really help me.
Message 10 of 28