cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-paid Huewei 173 dongle with Kubuntu linux

Anonymous
Not applicable

I Just bought a Huewei 173 dongle with 1GB of usage pre-paid. It works fine with Windows but I really want to use it with Kubuntu linux (version 12 - precise pangolin). Normally Network Manager would set this up straight away and it would go with no problem, but not in this case!

I tried exporting the settings from Windows and this is what it gave me:

username      o2bb

password      NQ8mHTsaFQU*

apn                m-bb.o2.co.uk

However, when I try using these settings it just asks me for authentication, then gives up.

It seems likely that the password is wrong or maybe even encrypted. I have tried just putting 'password' in but that doesn't work either.

I have also tried the 'payandgo' settings offered by Network Manager (user is 'payandgo', apn is payandgo.o2.co.uk) but these don't work either.

Anyone any ideas?

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi. Thanks for anyone who tried to help. The solution is simple - the dongle is waiting for a PIN. This is the last 4 digits of the SSN code given on the card which the SIM card comes within.

So in my case the settings were:

user           o2bb

password  password                     (the one I listed originally was obviously this encrypted)

apn           m-bb.o2.co.uk

- and then when setting up the account, enter the PIN from your SSN and choose the STORE option.

Then it all works!

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok lets see if we can help you out. As you know Linux based programs are written by your average joe and is basically a collaboration of peoples coding. This unfortunatelty makes things like dongles and usb devices in general a little problematic at times.

Kubuntu change the coding name if you like on how a usb is seen or picked up and this is what courses the the conflict. 

I will try to help but I will say that Linux is not my forte so you may need to bare with me and hopefully somebody with a better knowledge can jump in.

In a command box try typing in usb-devices
if that does not work try usb_devices.
Basically we are looking for the modeswitch, the part that acknowledges and switches over from a usb dongle to a modem

Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, sorry, you aren't helping at all. I am pretty expert at using Ubuntu/kubuntu. This isn't a problem with the OS not finding the dongle - I have checked that and it's fine. It's some sort of problem with the Network Manager settings

Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry then apart from the dongle not switching from usb to modem, I am out of my depth.
You might get lucky on here but I would if you have not already post the same question on a Kubuntu forum as well.
Message 4 of 8

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Oo I have used kubuntu in ages:/

Certainly an interesting question. Steersy is correct I think it's a bit out of this forums league.

However ill do some research and see if I can find a solution for you. Will be a good excuse to break out the sata drive again:)
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi. Thanks for anyone who tried to help. The solution is simple - the dongle is waiting for a PIN. This is the last 4 digits of the SSN code given on the card which the SIM card comes within.

So in my case the settings were:

user           o2bb

password  password                     (the one I listed originally was obviously this encrypted)

apn           m-bb.o2.co.uk

- and then when setting up the account, enter the PIN from your SSN and choose the STORE option.

Then it all works!

Message 6 of 8

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Thanks for letting us know you fixed it:)

I forgot how little I knew about this OS but I'm enjoying using it again so more than one good thing has come from this thread:)
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad you found a fix and sorry I could not help. 

Message 8 of 8