Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to buy a phone from o2?

Stead
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have a sim only contract, 'upgrading' means paying al ot more monthly for less even tho you can buy the phone complete, but you still need to change contract.

Is it possible just to buy a phone or does it have to come with a contract, it looks like the best way is to start a new contract, buy phone then cancel the air time?

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
You can pay off the device plan immediately and give 30 days notice to cancel the airtime, which means you pay for 1 month, or buy the phone outright on a PAYG tariff, but there's no need to use the PAYG sim. All O2 phones are sold unlocked so any sim from any network will work in them.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@Stead If you have the disposable income to buy a phone sim free, and then take a sim only contract, that's usually the most economic way to go in the long run. There are many many sites that sell phones sim free for a lot less than O2 does. I suggest you shop around.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 12

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
You can pay off the device plan immediately and give 30 days notice to cancel the airtime, which means you pay for 1 month, or buy the phone outright on a PAYG tariff, but there's no need to use the PAYG sim. All O2 phones are sold unlocked so any sim from any network will work in them.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 12

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi @Stead, I hope you found the replies above useful, but please do let us know what you decide to do in the end and if you need any further help slight_smile Which phone were you thinking of getting?

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 4 of 12

Stead
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, 

Thanks for the replies, yes I did find the above replies useful, I was considering buying the P20 Pro which 'Like New' is available for £404 on a contract you can cancel immediatly it seems, but can only buy the new one on pay as you go for £799?

I have a sim only plan with o2 currently but would be using this particular phone with a different network, I took a particular fancy to the twilight colour for some reason yahoo

Message 5 of 12

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Good choice slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 6 of 12

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

I agree with @MI5, great choice! One of our members, @welshsteve76, wrote of review of this device recently if you're curious to read more first-hand comments on it - here smiley

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 7 of 12

Skyhawk1010
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 150 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

You wont go too far wrong with a P20 Pro. Excellent handset with possibly the best camera on it available anywhere.

Just make sure you NEVER lose the special Huawei ‘supercharger’ and the supplied lead though.

Reason?

The P20 Pro like a few other Huawei handsets has its own  Huawei ‘Supercharge’ fast charging technology, fully developed by Huawei and not licensed for use by anyone else. To use it you need both a Huawei ‘Supercharge’ charger AND the OEM lead. 

Yes you can get a ‘compatible’ charger and lead and yes they will work, but will only slow charge NOT supercharge. 

As for getting an OEM Huawei?

Absolutly FNC with NC standing for ‘No Chance’ 

Huawei will not supply direct, I doubt if O2 will and there’s nothing but fakes on both Amazon and eBay.

Not a deal breaker as such but certainly something to bear in mind. 

Message 8 of 12

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
It's only a 4amp charger though.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 12

Yrag
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I already have a monthly airtime plan with O2. I want to buy iPhone 11 Pro but use my current airtime plan. Is this possible. Thanks.
Message 10 of 12