cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ports or service type blocking - CCTV

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I'm trying to connect to my office CCTV which uses two tcp ports - 5290 for commands and 5291 for streaming. My iphone app (MViewer) can connect fine using a local IP addresses over the local LAN/WiFi, but if I try to access the CCTV DVR box from O2's mobile network it simpy cannot connect.

I know my ADSL router is set up OK (work with this stuff all day) and can happily get access from external networks using WiFi on my phone, but as soon as I disable WiFi and rely on the O2 GPRS/3G system, I get no access.

I did try to sort this out months ago (while still locked in a contract), but gave up as the frontline support staff simply hadn't a clue what I was talking about. A mate, who has the same setup but on Vodaphone gets access no problem, so i can only summise that O2 is restricting based on port or traffic content.

Anyone here who knows what O2's policy is as I'm out of contract now so would like to fix this one way or the other.

Steve

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
@macblank,

I'm afraid perksie is right. This is a matter for the O2 technical staff themselves to answer. Whilst I myself have never had any issues with protocol/port blocking on O2, I have no idea and no way of telling what filtering techniques they use on their web-facing gateway for us.. I think only those who are directly involved in this business would have those details.
Message 11 of 19

macblank
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 520 Posts
  • 19 Topics
  • 23 Solutions
I did actually suggest the TECH TEAM

They are not the quickest in getting back to u, but they will
Old Phone Geek!!! A Mobile User Since 1993
Samsung Galaxy S3

Feel Free to Add Kudos, If I Have Helped slight_smile
Message 12 of 19

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
The Internet is rather silent about the operation of their operating technique:/
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 13 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
@macblank

You did indeed, but as a rule the technical department at O2 (the grunts that make sure the right lights are showing on the right boxes) don't talk to customers. They prefer to advise the customer care team on what to say and pass it down from on high.

Can't say I blame them, having worked in IT support myself!
Message 14 of 19

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@macblank wrote:
I did actually suggest the TECH TEAM

They are not the quickest in getting back to u, but they will

Highly unlikely, that would set a precedent as it's never happened before.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 15 of 19

macblank
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 520 Posts
  • 19 Topics
  • 23 Solutions
It is rare but not the 1st time.

I had an issue yrs ago n spoke direct to the tech team.
Old Phone Geek!!! A Mobile User Since 1993
Samsung Galaxy S3

Feel Free to Add Kudos, If I Have Helped slight_smile
Message 16 of 19

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

They did have a system set up for tech support on a pay per fix basis, but they scrapped it.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 17 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

I finally got fed up - switched to Vodafone - Can now stream H264 from my CCTV systems to my phone without any difficulty. 

O2 are clearly only setup to support the most basic of issues, and are utterly useless at dealing with business customers. 

Message 18 of 19

Thought
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I had the same issue, with O2. You have two options, first you can run any free VPN from your phone, this will bypass any port blocking O2 use. Second option is if you change the ports on the CCTV system, and then again open these on the router to something else (as not all ports are blocked) 

O2 were no help with this issue, I had to work it out myself. 

Message 19 of 19