Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

Porting O2 to O2 is possible

Thought I'd post my experiences of porting within O2 as I looked all over the net for someone who could confirm they'd done this successfully without any finding any concrete cases.

I was previously on an O2 online tariff and like many other on here couldn't find any reasonably priced or even up to date handsets when it came time to upgrade.

I've now purchased an i8510 on O2 25 through mobiles.co.uk for £49(pre order offer) with a B/T headset and Free Nokia PAYG thrown into the deal.

When I called retentions for my PAC code I was prepared to port to the Virgin PAYG and back again, however the woman in retentions checked with her Manager and said there was no need to do this as you could port from O2 online to O2 store or 3rd party tariffs. She said wait for the PAC code and then call customer services.

The PAC code took 24 hours to arrive, I then called Customer Services, the lady there was very unsure about porting O2 to O2 and checked with the Manager in retentions who advised her to proceed.

I received a text confirmation the same day to same that transfer would take place 2 days later (today).

This morning my old SIM went inactive at around 10am, my new SIM was updated around 2pm so I was around 4 hours with the existing number inactive. However I am more than pleased with this as it has taken no more than 3 days in total. So many people havd told me it's not possible at all and many forums incorrectly indicate that it can't be done.

If you are looking for a cheaper handset, want to stay on O2 and are worried about losing your number don’t worry it can be done.
Anonymous

Re: Porting O2 to O2 is possible

Even better - bought new phone and 600min contract through e2save for the equivalent of £5.49 per month. O2 say that they can just migrate my old O2 contract mobile number onto the new SIM. No PAC code required as both contracts in my name. Only takes up to 24hrs from phone call and can be done over weekend.
Anonymous

Thought I'd post my experiences of porting within O2 as I looked all over the net for someone who could confirm they'd done this successfully without any finding any concrete cases.
I was previously on an O2 online tariff and like many other on here couldn't find any reasonably priced or even up to date handsets when it came time to upgrade.
I've now purchased an i8510 on O2 25 through mobiles.co.uk for £49(pre order offer) with a B/T headset and Free Nokia PAYG thrown into the deal.
When I called retentions for my PAC code I was prepared to port to the Virgin PAYG and back again, however the woman in retentions checked with her Manager and said there was no need to do this as you could port from O2 online to O2 store or 3rd party tariffs. She said wait for the PAC code and then call customer services.
The PAC code took 24 hours to arrive, I then called Customer Services, the lady there was very unsure about porting O2 to O2 and checked with the Manager in retentions who advised her to proceed.
I received a text confirmation the same day to same that transfer would take place 2 days later (today).
This morning my old SIM went inactive at around 10am, my new SIM was updated around 2pm so I was around 4 hours with the existing number inactive. However I am more than pleased with this as it has taken no more than 3 days in total. So many people havd told me it's not possible at all and many forums incorrectly indicate that it can't be done.
If you are looking for a cheaper handset, want to stay on O2 and are worried about losing your number don’t worry it can be done.

Hi singram67.
So you didn't have to go through the O2 upgrade option with Mobiles.co.uk?
Anonymous

This is migrating, not porting. Porting is when you change networks, migrating is when you move your number within a network.
Wanty in "pedantic" mode.