cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor to no coverage in S75

Anonymous
Not applicable

My parents live in South Yorksire, postal code area S75.

• My mother's phone is on O2 and she rarely gets a signal.
  • Every time I go there, I get no signal (as in my iPhone's screen says "No Signal").
  • Everytime my wife (also on O2) goes there she gets no signal on her Samsung.

Call me Mr Jump-to-Conclusions but I reckon this means there's virtually no coverage in the area.

Customer Services want me to drive 250 miles to the area and then use another phone to call them so they can test connecting to my mobile. If I won't do that, they won't help - and said the technical team terminated investigation because the phone I'm using isn't in that area.

Why can't my mother complain, you might well ask. She's very busy all day and night caring for my bedridden, terminally ill father. She has other things to do than go through all this with O2 customer services.

So she needs to have a functioning mobile phone available - what if there were an emergency and the land line was down? What will O2 do? Nothing.

I am furious.

This is a truly awful situation and O2 customer services and the technical support teams just don't seem to care. If the only way they can do anything is to connect to my phone while I'm in a no-coverage area and they have no other ways to get coverage checked and sorted then what on earth do they do?

Diabolical and a primary reason for not staying with O2.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel for your situation and it must be a very trying time for your family.

It seems obvious that giving the fact your wifes phone also on 02 it is a area signal problem.

Have you checked the network coverage via this link http://www.o2.co.uk/coveragechecker

If you get coverage on there then I would suggest another phone call to them.

worst case scenario is maybe another phone company who do have coverage in the area, I know that is a bit extreme but if O2 do not have coverage in that area other than them putting up another phone mast I am not sure what else they could do.

I hope you get it sorted and let us know how you get on so we can pass on this if ever anybody is in the same situation.

Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello
[I feel for your situation and it must be a very trying time for your family.]
Thank you.

[It seems obvious that giving the fact your wifes phone also on 02 it is a area signal problem.]
And to me too but apparently unless I am physically there and call them on another line (a line that needs to be kept free in case the nurses or the doctors call), O2 technical support have no interest in looking any further into it.

[Have you checked the network coverage via this link http://www.o2.co.uk/coveragechecker]
Good indoors & out according to that. I'm not surprised as coverage checks are done by means of a calculation and not from actual measurements.

[If you get coverage on there then I would suggest another phone call to them.]
It's the "be there and call us" bit I can't do - it's 250 miles from where I am. My mother has enough on her plate and I won't even ask her to call them.

[worst case scenario is maybe another phone company who do have coverage in the area]
Regrettably I have a contract for another year and 2 months. You can be sure it will not be renewed. My mother's not going to be interested in dealing with PAC codes and all that in order to get her number changed she and cannot deal with updating all the medical teams, family and friends with a new number.
[other than them putting up another phone mast I am not sure what else they could do.]
If they were willing to check their systems, to make sure all local cells are operating at 100% (it's often the case that cells go down or have reduced performance but unless someone complains there's no impetus to fix them) and so on, I'd be grateful. But to not be willing to try anything like that at all is deplorable.

[I hope you get it sorted and let us know how you get on so we can pass on this if ever anybody is in the same situation.]
I will, thanks.
Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am wondering if you could do it via live chat on the main forum and have your mother on a land line with the mobile in hand (or possibly when your wife is there) to walk her through it.

To be fair to O2 its a difficult one but they do need to take up the cause. Keep escalating it, send an complaint email in as well as that seems to send the proverbial jolt up them. 

If I can help at all feel free to ask. 

What phone out of interest as beleive it or not some phones have better signals than others. 

Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,
[I am wondering if you could do it via live chat on the main forum and have your mother on a land line with the mobile in hand]
My mother is 250 miles from me, plus she's caring for my father in his last few weeks (I hope he lives a few weeks) and so just a little bit busy with doctors, nurses and so on.
[To be fair to O2 its a difficult one but they do need to take up the cause. Keep escalating it, send an complaint email in as well as that seems to send the proverbial jolt up them.]
Yes, I've emailed them. They will reply within a fortnight, they say. Dad may have reduced the urgency by then.
[What phone out of interest as beleive it or not some phones have better signals than others.]
I have an iPhone 4S, the wife has a Samsung Galaxy SIII & my mother has a Samsung small android phone (something mini).
Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

send an complaint email in as well 

I mailed ComplaintReviewService@O2.COM so hopefully that will get something quicker than the 14 day response the auto-responder email says.

Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish I was working for O2 as I would be on this in a second. 

Keep your chin up. You can not do anymore than you have. 

My thoughts and prayers with you and your family.

Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

An update.

On the Saturday morning that my father died, the landline was very bad and O2 had yet to reply to my complaint. Contacting the necessary services was difficult as we couldn't hear what they were saying over the land line (not the fault of O2).

As I suspected & feared, this meant we should have been reliant on using our mobiles to be able to contact friends and relatives. With effectively no O2 signal (to send my wife an SMS I had to stand upstairs by the window and hold the handset as high up as I could), we were left to shouting the news down the landline phone at people who we could barely hear and who could barely hear us. How horrible.

Four days later I was contacted by the complaints team. Their message was "we're not checking things out just on the word of a customer - you have to be at the place with no signal."

Thank you O2. My contract will be cancelled at the end of its term. Some things you can rely on customers forgetting by the time renewal comes round. This does not fall into that particular category - I'm never going to forget this and I'm going to tell every O2 customer I know all about it.

If Jon Porter still runs service improvement for O2 and a member of O2 staff ever reads this (unlikely I know), please give him Mike C's compliments (we worked together @ Orange) and ask him if he might like to consider whether this incident constitutes a service that requires improvement.

Message 8 of 8