Did you mean: 

Poor signal which hasnt happened before

the_roons
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all,

my mum has an old school nokia phone (the metal one) anyway the signal on her phone went from 3 or 4 bars to 1 bar if she was lucky but mostly zero bars. i thought at first it may be her phone which was the issue due to the fact the phone is ancient and shes still only on 2G as my phone had full signal on 4G.

i took it today to the 02 shop and i was surprised to find it had full signal! i could only mumble apologies to the staff (who were very friendly btw) as i really thought it was the phones fault. what doesnt make sense is i live about a 25 minute walk from the o2 shop. its about 5 minutes in a car. Has something happened to my mums usual mast for 2G signal? Did her phone connect to another mast ? Are phone masts that regular?! i thought one could do an entire town or something! 

There is a phone mast right by the shop so again im not sure if thats the normal one her phone connects to at home and her phone cant or anything...

I've tried turning her phone off and on, i've tried changing the settings (her phone was trying to connect to 3G previously randomly so i thought i fixed it by putting it back to 2G) and i've tried other old nokia tricks to get a better signal to no joy. Its only been not working the last ten days.

the coverage checker on o2 says everything is fine and my 4G fine has perfect signal. i raised it on the site and got a reference 23731599.

Any ideas if maybe the mast near my house is down for 2G or maybe it is the phone and it only gets full bars right next to the mast?

Thanks for the rambling post!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@the_roons See if there's anything in this link to help you: https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/How-can-I-sort-out-my-network-issues/ba-p/1014088

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@the_roons 

Not all faults will show immediately. 
Keep checking the status page for updates. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 7

LukasB
Former Staff
  • 1791 Posts
  • 177 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Hey @the_roons did you manage to get this sorted out or are you still having singal problems?

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 4 of 7

the_roons
  • 5 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

hi @LukasB still having trouble. we recently were sent a wifi booster from our internet provider. would that be having any problem? My iphone and my sisters wifi still have really strong 4G signal. Could a wifi booster be hindering 2G signal or whatever signal a nokia 6700 receives? Surely not!

Again nothing on the o2 website to suggest an issue with 2G or whatever the signal for that phone is called! 

Message 5 of 7

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9984 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@the_rooms

It could actually be the handset itself, have you tried the sim card in another handset. Which version of thre 6700 is it? 

2G is usually the most stable network.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 6 of 7

LukasB
  • 1791 Posts
  • 177 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Hey @the_roons i will send you a message on here as I will need some more information.

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 7 of 7