cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor reception in high rise building

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I live in flat on the 9th floor in London Zone 2 area. I was thinking 02 should be having very good reception in the area. I checked the 02 network coverage checker and it says my postcode should be having great indoor and outdoor coverage both for 2G and 3G, but unfortunately I have very poor indoor reception. I need to go out to the balcony to make calls which is a bit frustrating. 

I tried my 02 sim in couple of different phones but its the same story. Even tried a sim swap recently, but no luck.

Any ideas what could be the problem?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
The type of construction of the building can have a big influence on signal. Lots of steel & concrete can block / confuse things unfortunately....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

Welcome to the Forum.

Could be a number of things.

The masts and area coverage is based at ground level, so with youu living on the 9th floor may be the issue.

Also it depends on where your local mast is, Flats are generally notirous for not being brilliant regarding mobile signals im affraid. The Construction Im affraid doesnt help.

When i was in London I was on the London Eye. I picked up a 3G signal fine at the bottom and so far up, At the top i only got the 2g network, coming back down i gained 3G again.

http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/ which is a goverment site and place your post code. this will show you are your local masts, the height of them and you may be able to get a better idea of the coverage.

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 3 of 7

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Also depends on mast location as they are normally pointed towards the ground not up in the air the coverage checker is most likley predicting ground level coverage for your postcode.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 7

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I'm about 1 mile from my nearest mast yet the signal isn't great when home. Probably because of all the terrain where I live.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for you reply.

Any solutions anyone can suggest? Are there any devices whcih i can use to boost signal?

Message 6 of 7

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

O2 do a boost box but as yet they are only available to business customers at £150.

Hopefully they will be released to the masses at a more reasonable sum.

Message 7 of 7