Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

Poor customer service.

You can't get the same deal as a new customer.... one of the many reasons why I binned O2.
"Hi i'm customer of 7 years, can I have the great new deal your offering?" NO!!!! "Ok then goodbye i'm off to another telco, might come back if they are as poor, but then again probably not".

Actually yes you can.
This whole thread was caused over confusion between prices of new iphone handsets (completely set and the same for new and existing customers) and refurb handsets (can vary from customer to customer but are usually free on £35pm 18/24m and higher tariffs)

Who was confused? Certainly not me - I knew that I was eligible for the standard 8Gig 3G £35/month tariff (or the refurb 3GS £35/month tariff as I later discovered) without paying for the handset.

Customer services told me that I was not eligible for the (free handset) 8Gig 3G £35/month tariff (after clearing the remainder of my contract), even though if I walked in off the street as a new customer I could purchase this - so I was not getting the same deal as a new customer, no matter which way you look at it.

It was only after I spoke to someone in retentions who actually understood what I was asking, that the matter finally got resolved.

My complaint in this whole situation, was that the customer service department were giving me different information from:

(a) the marketing campaign that declares that existing customers get the same deal as new customers, and

(b) the o2 retentions department.

I actually complained about this to the o2 complaints department, but I received a very short, sharp e-mail that told me that o2 do not give out different information to different departments.

I beg to differ.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Poor customer service.

Who was confused? Certainly not me - I knew that I was eligible for the standard 8Gig 3G £35/month tariff (or the refurb 3GS £35/month tariff as I later discovered) without paying for the handset.

You technically wasn't eligible for this, as the buy out of your contract to upgrade option is only available to the Iphone 3GS or the Palm Pre handset, it just seems that like you said earlier, they buckled under the pressure.
Customer services told me that I was not eligible for the (free handset) 8Gig 3G £35/month tariff (after clearing the remainder of my contract), even though if I walked in off the street as a new customer I could purchase this - so I was not getting the same deal as a new customer, no matter which way you look at it.

Actually you were being offered the same deal as all other customers who want to buy out of their contract and upgrade to an Iphone 3GS.
Because as i stated above, it's only available on the 3GS or Palm Pre, so a new customer could get the Iphone 3GS for the same price that you were being offered.
You weren't offered the 3G at first until they "Buckled under the pressure" they could have quite easily stuck to their guns and only allowed you to upgrade to the 3GS as per the promotion rules, or you could have seen out your minimum term contract, at which point you would have been eligible for an upgrade and get the same deals as a new customer.
It was only after I spoke to someone in retentions who actually understood what I was asking, that the matter finally got resolved.

It sounds like they all understood what you was asking, but you weren't understanding what they were telling you.
(a) the marketing campaign that declares that existing customers get the same deal as new customers, and
This is still true, but only at the point of upgrade, you still had a few months left on your contract, my answer to your second quote pretty much answers this one as well.
I actually complained about this to the o2 complaints department, but I received a very short, sharp e-mail that told me that o2 do not give out different information to different departments.

This is 100% true.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Poor customer service.

I can only assume that you work for o2.

If I buy out the remainder of my contract, I can leave o2 and go to Vodaphone, Orange, or any other carrier. I'm not upgrading early then, am I? I am paying the remainder of my contract.

If I decide to stay with o2, I am then, in effect, a returning customer with a 'clean slate' and should be eligible for the same deals that any other new customer would get.

I was not. This is my point.

If I had paid the remainder of my contract and then told retentions that I was not staying with o2, I could have walked into an o2 high st store that same day and purchased a 8Gig 3G £35/month tariff without paying for the handset.

Either you are being obtuse or you also do not understand that I was not being offered this deal by customer services even though I could have paid the remainder of my contract, said goodbye, and then walked into my local store and purchased the iPhone.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Poor customer service.

If I buy out the remainder of my contract, I can leave o2 and go to Vodaphone, Orange, or any other carrier. I'm not upgrading early then, am I? I am paying the remainder of my contract.
If I decide to stay with o2, I am then, in effect, a returning customer with a 'clean slate' and should be eligible for the same deals that any other new customer would get.
If I had paid the remainder of my contract and then told retentions that I was not staying with o2, I could have walked into an o2 high st store that same day and purchased a 8Gig 3G £35/month tariff without paying for the handset.
Either you are being obtuse or you also do not understand that I was not being offered this deal by customer services even though I could have paid the remainder of my contract, said goodbye, and then walked into my local store and purchased the iPhone.

I like that word! I thought only the Americans used it in real life, the rest of us use it to describe angles! Smiley Happy

I have to say, if miller86 is indicative of O2's attitude to customer service, I will be leaving when my contract expires.

Now, I am sure based on what I have just said, miller86 will distance himself from O2, but to be honest, he achieved what he set out to do and that was to speak from the informed high ground and to give us all the impression he is on the O2 payroll. There are a few contributors in here that are clearly O2 and they are moderate, helpful and knowledgable people. miller86 is the first to show a level of arrogance that I would feel uncomfortable to deal with.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Poor customer service.

I dont work for o2, i am simply posting as an o2 customer who has experienced this process when i came to pay off my contract and upgrade early, although i went for the Palm Pre handset but the process was explained to me by an o2 Upgrades advisor, as i asked if i could upgrade to a Blackberry first of all.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Poor customer service.

Quote:

It sounds like they all understood what you was asking, but you weren't understanding what they were telling you

I agree. The OP wanted to take the same deal as their other half, 24m £35 with a free 3G iphone, available to any customer old or new. However they weren't due for upgrade yet meaning that normally they'd need to wait. They were told they can get an early upgrade but only if they pay off the remainder of their contract and that it'd have to be a 3GS not a 3G which on the same tariff is £89 (as it's the next model up). As has already been said many times the prices for brand new iphones are set and exactly the same for old and new customers.
As it transpired though the OP wanted o2 to include the 3G handset in the 'pay up your contract early to upgrade to a 3GS/Palm Pre' offer which it wasn't part of which resulted in having to force o2 into bending the rules.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Poor customer service.

The point is that O2 didn't have to let you use the promotion to let you buy out your contract to upgrade to the 3G as the 3G isn't part of it.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Poor customer service.

The promotion to buy out the remainder of the contract and upgrade early is irrelevant in my circumstance. This is why:

As I have explained multiple times in this thread - I could have paid off the remainder of my contract and effectively left o2, then walked into a high st store and purchased the 8Gig 3G tariff without paying for the handset.

If I were to upgrade early as per the information here: http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/upgrade.html

i.e without paying any money - option '1': 1/3/6 month early upgrade via the priority list - I would be restricted in the handset that I could choose. The current promotion explained by customer services says that existing customers upgrading early via this method can only choose the 3GS model, not the 3G model.

This is not the route that I wanted to take to obtain my upgrade.

Seriously, how hard is it to understand?
Highlighted
Anonymous

Poor customer service.

You can only pay off your contract and upgrade early to a 3GS or a Palm Pre.

For any other handset you would need to start a new contract and then pay the term fees on your old one to cancel/port out before the minimum term is up.

You managed to do an early upgrade to a 3g without going the long way round by hassling o2 until they gave way.

So yes, you're right, if you took the option to upgrade early you would be restricted to a 3GS or Pre...becuase they're what's include in the offer! :womanindifferent:
Highlighted
Anonymous

Poor customer service.

As I have explained multiple times in this thread - I could have paid off the remainder of my contract and effectively left o2, then walked into a high st store and purchased the 8Gig 3G tariff without paying for the handset.

I'm under the impression that once you have paid off the remainder and not upgraded to the iphone, O2 (direct or high street) wouldn't allow you to rejoin even as a new customer for a short while.

I wasn't being literal - i'm highlighting a discrepancy that exists when a customer wants to upgrade.
You can only pay off your contract and upgrade early to a 3GS or a Palm Pre.
For any other handset you would need to start a new contract and then pay the term fees on your old one to cancel/port out before the minimum term is up.
You managed to do an early upgrade to a 3g without going the long way round by hassling o2 until they gave way.
So yes, you're right, if you took the option to upgrade early you would be restricted to a 3GS or Pre...becuase they're what's include in the offer! :womanindifferent:

Roll your eyes all you want. If I pay off my contract, it's not an early upgrade - is it?

I've had enough of this. I've got my phone, and i'm happy enough with it.