Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

Poor customer service.

I recently purchased a second phone (8G iPhone) on my account for my girlfriend. The tariff is £35/month for 24 months. I regularly pay well over the odds for my £25/month tariff - most months i'm closer to £50 because of data charges and international calls. (But i'm usually under the £50 by a couple of pounds every month, so the 3 month early upgrade will not apply)

I am eligible for an upgrade in March, but I was going to pay off the existing contract (£50) and switch to the iPhone early, but I was told by customer services that the tariff that my g/f has recently purchased is not available to me as an existing customer. Instead, I would have to pay £89 for the 16G handset as well as the £50 to retire my current contract.

This, to me, is appalling customer service. They would be getting £70/month from my household for the next 2 years and you would think that they might want to keep me happy considering that my contract is soon to expire.

Does anyone have any advice? (Other than just wait for 2 months and get the upgrade anyway)
Highlighted
Topics: 295
Kudos: 1,853
Ideas: 6
Solutions: 1,316

Poor customer service.

Did you speak to retentions or just normal customer service?

I would ring up and ask for retentions.

Have you looked at this page ? http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/upgrade.html
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 11” 2018 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Highlighted
Anonymous

Poor customer service.

Phoned retentions and they told me that they can't do anything until i'm actually at the upgrade stage in March.

I explained that I find it strange that I could go into the o2 store and grab a free 8G iPhone for my missus, but I had to pay £90 over and above the contract cancellation fee, and I was limited to at least a 16G handset. No joy though - she wouldn't help me at all.

That's that then?
Highlighted
Anonymous

Poor customer service.

Other then wait then you can pay off the contract early and upgrade as you have been told, that is quite correct. As for the handset cost, on the contract you want there is a cost for the handset on the 3GS, there is no retention deals on the iPhone so they are also quite right when they wont budge on price.

I take it you GF took a free handset as she has the 3g and not the 3GS.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Poor customer service.

Phoned retentions and they told me that they can't do anything until i'm actually at the upgrade stage in March.
I explained that I find it strange that I could go into the o2 store and grab a free 8G iPhone for my missus, but I had to pay £90 over and above the contract cancellation fee, and I was limited to at least a 16G handset. No joy though - she wouldn't help me at all.
That's that then?

Well you signed a contract for x amount of months, if you want to end the contact you have to pay it off.

Now the thing with the free iphone.. it really isn't that sweet (in my opinion at least) of a deal for 24 months, fair enough your missus will be chuffed to bits with her new iphone, but she has to wait 23 months until she can get the *NEW* iphone as an upgrade (unless she gets boosted to gold or platinum priority of course).

As for yourself I'm assuming you were looking at either:

£35.00 a month (24 months) 600 mins 500 texts

OR

£45.00 a month (18 months) 1200 mins 500 texts

Each of these have the 16GB as £89.99 hence my guess.

If you read other threads in the forums you'll see people talking about getting a reconditioned iphone 3gs (it's basically new and treated as a new phone by apple) for free and on an 18 month contract from retentions. Read viewtopic.php?t=34650

But essentially, yes you have to wait until March, unless you buy out your remaining contract.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Poor customer service.

Just re-read your OP, slightly confused but they should be offering you the same deals, that is one of the things O2 'prides' themselves on always offering the same deals to new and existing customers.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Poor customer service.

Just re-read your OP, slightly confused but they should be offering you the same deals, that is one of the things O2 'prides' themselves on always offering the same deals to new and existing customers.

Ditto

Edit: nevermind re-read again.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Poor customer service.

I thought paying off the remainder of my contract would entitle me to the same deal as my missus? Free 8G 3G, £35/month.

This is where i'm confused - I have been told by everyone I have spoken to at o2 that after I pay off my contract, I need to go for the 16G 3GS at least (at either £35 or £45 per month), and also pay £89 for the handset, which is most definitely not the same deal as my missus.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Poor customer service.

Well you could play their bluff, say you want to pay off your contract and you want your PAC code as Vodafone will give you what you want. You get 30 days to act on this after you receive your code.

Edit: just to clarify, Voda offer iPhone 3G 8GB for 24months, free phone, unlimited text's 1GB mobile internet and mail, 600mins for £35
Highlighted
Anonymous

Poor customer service.

Well you could play their bluff, say you want to pay off your contract and you want your PAC code as Vodafone will give you what you want. You get 30 days to act on this after you receive your code.
Edit: just to clarify, Voda offer iPhone 3G 8GB for 24months, free phone, unlimited text's 1GB mobile internet and mail, 600mins for £35

Yeah - I was looking at that earlier.

I'm probably gonna just wait until March. It's not that long and I don't desperately need the iPhone right away.

It's just that the level of customer service I received stuck in my craw somewhat.

I still don't understand why I don't get the same deal as a new customer after paying the remainder of my contract?