cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help me use phone abroad - Southern Spain

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi All

Apologies if this has posted twice (internet issues).

I'm in southern Spain and have a monthly contract with 02 on iPhone.

I got 02 travel and turned my phone on as soon as I got here. Movistar networked appeared automatically, however, I am unable to connect to the Internet.

When I've tried to get on the Internet, it tells me I am unable to as I must be subscribed to an Internet provider (or something like that) before I can use the Internet.

Tried searching for other networks to see if I could find 02 but no luck....although a few did show up including Vodafone.

Can anyone help me with this, please? 02 aren't able to help (over 30 minute wait on phone and no chat option available).

Thanks so much x
Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You might have the wrong APN.
What is the wording, are you using idata or mobile.o2.co.uk?
You might need to call CS and ask to be put onto idata.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Turn OFF the EU Internet switch.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, MI5.....problem is, it's already off 😞
Message 3 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous I go to Southern Spain frequently and usually have no problems connecting to Movistar. On the one occasion it wouldn't connect I turned the phone off and back on again....and did a manual search and connection to Movistar. It was fine after that and gave me no problems

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Cleoriff

Thank you....I've tried what you suggested and as soon as I try to click on the Internet, it pops up with a box to say the same thing....that I must be subscribed to a mobile network (something like that anyway!)

Hmm....🤔 X
Message 5 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Specific wording of error is 'You have not subscribed to a mobile data service' x
Message 6 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

What phone are you using @Anonymous?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

The usual and most common reason for this is EU Internet turned on. I know you say it's off...but I would turn it on for a second then back off....then reboot the phone...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks again, Cleoriff

I'm using an iPhone SE.

I have tried again your kind suggestion but still encountering the same error message.

You know.....I originally started off with 02 on a Windows phone. I didn't get on with it so bought the iPhone and asked them to send me the sim to match. Which they did and I've had no problems with using this back home in the UK.

I wonder if that's got anything to do with this problem 🤔

I greatly appreciate you taking the time to assist me - thanks! X
Message 9 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

Try to reset the networks by going into settings > general > reset > reset network settings and then reboot the phone.

If that doesn't work have a look at this guide ..

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/Connecting-iPhone-to-Data-Services/m-p/544210#U544210

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 14