Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

Please help me make sense of downgrading :)

Hello, another downgrading post I'm afraid!
I have been thinking about downgrading for a while now, I used to try to keep my spends high when as a silver customer they included a 3 month early upgrade but now I see little point, except to drain my money! So please help me make sense of the downgrading and save me some money Smiley Happy
I've just had another nose at the pay mothly tarriffs, am I right in thinking they have changed again recently? I can't make head nor tail of them since I think they are dependant on what phone you "purchase"?
At the moment I am on an "Online 35 24 month" with 900 any time, any network minutes, unlimited texts, a 750MB UK Data for Smartphone bolt on @ £5.11 and O2 Insure Premier Monthly @ £7.50 which comes to a grand total of around :mansurprised: £48.56 usually.. And I'm in for another 10 or 11 months..
The handset I am using is the standard HTC Desire, wich I'm sure most know is data hungry, I have gone over 750MB a couple of times (no charge, just crippling speeds) and always hover around that mark.. So if I downgrade, I'll lose my bolt on and have to get either a 500mb (£6?) or pay £10 for 1GB? I don't know if that's false economy..
I would like to keep around 300 minutes, as I usually hover around 200, but would like a safety net. My texting varies a lot from month to month, but really never over the 500 mark, sometimes as little as 150..
Also, o2 insurance; I've had this for the last ... 5? years is it really worth me having, or would I get better value with a broker, or even my bank? I always thought it would just be less hassle if anything happened, that it would all just come from the same place, but back then it was only £5 a month..
So... what are my options? Have I got the best deal I can get, or can I downgrade without having to compromise on handset usage? I'm sorry for the rambling! And thanks in advance for any input I'm just a bit confused with the MASSES of tarriffs they seem to have now! :robotwink:
Highlighted
Topics: 295
Kudos: 1,850
Ideas: 6
Solutions: 1,316

Re: Please help me make sense of downgrading :)

Regarding insurance shop around and search the forums for horror stories when claiming since o2 changed companies that handle it for them and save the £7.50 and try eleswhere. Home contents / bank etc
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 11” 2018 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Highlighted
Anonymous

Based on what you wrote you would be looking at £36 for 300 mins, unltd text and 1gb of data, you are only really saving money if you drop the insurance, but you'd get more data
Highlighted
Anonymous

HI 300 min plus unlimited text would cost you 26 pound and with internet is 36 a month.Am defeneteli saying stop insurance and you save money,have one in bank which is lot cheaper.Did you know about fast rack upgrades?Basicaly
you can upgrade earlier if you pay 60% off what you owe.O2 paying 40% for you.for example you have three months left and you paying 40 a month[40x3-40%=u only pay 48 and can get better contract with better phone or go simplicity sim. Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Anonymous

Oops! I completely forgot about this, I must have created this thread on one of my proactive days! :robotsurprised:
Well, I'm looking into it again, guess I have to go and review the tarrffs that are out at the moment again. Any reccomendations for an insurace company?
Thank you for the previous replies!!!!! Smiley Very Happy
Highlighted
Anonymous

Well I finally phoned up!
Hmm, well, I kind of got what I wanted, kind of didn't. The advisor was helpful and polite as always, but o2's policies leave me feeling a bit lukewarm...
I have gone from Online 35 24 month, with 900 mins, unlimited texts, 750MB data @ £5.11 and insurance @ £7.50 to...
£31.00 a month, 600 mins, unlimited texts, 1GB data @ £10, and cancelled my o2 insurance.
(I have taken out Barclaycard gadget insurance @ £3.99 a month Smiley Very Happy )
So ultimately I only save £2 or so Smiley Sad ..
Next month I can phone and drop down another tier, although she did mention something about £26 a month for 300 mins and unlimited texs, yet when I look at tarriffs I can clearly see 2 options for £21 a month for 300 mins and unlimited texts..... Does anyone have any idea why this wouldn't be offered?

o2 have seriously gone down in my expectations, compared to the other providers out there, over the last 2 to 3 years. I find myself almost certain to terminate my contract in July, compared to the past when only a scorching deal would have swayed me! Smiley Sad
Highlighted
Anonymous

O2 aren't going to offer you anything other than the published tarrifs, bolt ons etc if you're requesting a tariff change mid-contract, which is all you've done.
When it comes to the end of your contract, that's when there's the possibility that you may be offered a deal, something better than the book price.
You're actually lucky to have been able to reduce your tariff mid contract, a couple of the big networks don't allow this at all and at least one of them charge an admin fee.
Highlighted
Anonymous

I'm not sure if we're on the same page here...
All I have requested is to be taken down to the advertised tarriffs, that I can see when I go to the o2 shop page. I'm not complaining about the price of them Smiley Indifferent Or the fact that I can downgrade? Smiley Indifferent I'm not looking for a deal!
When my contract is up of course I will speak to retentions, but I find myself not only more open to changing networks, but highly likely to. I found it to be a massive hassle, and the mobile internet is just not matching my needs.
My question was why would I be offered a £26 contract, when I can see a £21 contract advertised? (available to all new customers, published on the pay monthly tarriffs page)
Highlighted
Anonymous

I just assumed considering you'd been going on about tariff prices and put a Smiley Sad after only saving £2 that when you stated that o2 had gone down in your expectations due to pricing.
With regards to the 300 min 24 month tariff, it's normally £26. However on certain cheaper handsets you can get it for £21 as there's less hardware cost to cover.
I'd imagine that considering the £21 would be handset dependent that it's only available with certain new phones as an incentive and that customers stepping down the tariff 'ladder' would only have the £26 option.