Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help an oldie but goodie!!! going to USA

amici-pat
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 59 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

My once in a life time trip is only 3 months away and i need help.   I am not techie and find sending a text difficult, so you are really going to have to treat me like an idiot, well almost !!

I have an i phone 6 on pay as you go monthly  O2 and A Samsung Edge 7 on Contract.(Tesco).

I will not required Data except whilst in my vacation home which has good wi-fi, so I know to turn roaming off.

I have read everything I can about this and am still at a loss.   Having been in the US for a short time a couple of years' ago, I got into a terrible mess when trying to make calls., so here goes - 

There will be 2 UK Mobiles in USA so firstly what do I dial to reach the other mobile which will be in US at the same time - some say just dial as normal, and others say I need to add 011

Also, what will this cost me per minute and will it come out of my minutes or be added as an extra charge.

Secondly, calling back to UK from US - what do I dial and what will it cost (as above).

I have Tu, as suggested, on my O2 phone, but cannot get the hang of it, and can I get it on Tesco Mobile.

That will do for now, your help would be greatly appreciated

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Call charges can be found using this checking tool here http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad
To call UK number it's 0044 and to call a USA number it's 001. Drop the first 0 in both cases.
Also turn off data completely on both phones and just leave wifi on to avoid the risk of data use. Just having roaming off doesn't always work.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
You'd call +44 then the mobile number tu works by using wifi or. Mobile. Network data
Message 2 of 7

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Call charges can be found using this checking tool here http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad
To call UK number it's 0044 and to call a USA number it's 001. Drop the first 0 in both cases.
Also turn off data completely on both phones and just leave wifi on to avoid the risk of data use. Just having roaming off doesn't always work.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Also remember to turn voicemail Off before you travel by dialling 1760. (to turn it back on when you get home is 1750 )

When ringing back to the UK it's easier if you have those you are calling  already stored in your contacts list

A picture of charges shown in the list above is here..

O2 travel US.PNG

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 7

amici-pat
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 59 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thank you for help, still unsure on the UK mobile to UK mobile whilst both in the US, would that be classed as calling UK, or calling US and as such do I need to dial a prefix, and if so which.

Sorry to be so 'needy' but I just can't wrap my head around thisCrazy

Message 5 of 7

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Just call from Tugo and it will be free to call another uk mobile.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 7