Did you mean: 

Please clarify data speeds when roaming

Tommy5
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, 

Could O2 please clarify your data speeds while roaming. Middle of last year (June) there was a number of articles about O2 agresvly throteling data when roaming but O2 also stated this would be removed in the next few weeks. I am a frequent traveller on O2 contract using an iPhone 7 and when roaming in any contry (Europe, Asia, US) even Ireland the data speeds are so slow that not even google maps will work. I also have a EE and Vodafone sim which both work fine. This is not a 3G/4G issue as even when I set me EE / Voda simes to 3G only I can easy get 20+ Mbps when roaming and even more if 4G is enabled but with O2 its so slow that not even speed test will work. 

As I am now at the end of my contract and looking to renew or change provider can you please clarify your position and not just make statements such as "whats this space".. 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Tommy5wrote:

Phone and setting are all good so suspect O2 are still agresivly throttling while roaming to same money themselves. Going to Asia now for a few weeks so lets see how it works there. Last time I went to Hong Kong, Singapore and Thailand the behaviour was the same roaming worked for the first 50mb and then was slowed down to an un-usable speed so all data apps stopped working and I was still charged £4.99 for O2 travel every day. 

Which is exactly what they did last year during the holiday periods @Tommy5 (excessively throttling data)

I suspect it's more to do with where you are in the world as well. One part of France or Spain could be totally different to another area...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 12

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

@Tommy5

This is the statement  from o2 Traffice Management.

Roaming within The European Union
O2 Pay Monthly Customers roaming within The EU may experience limited throughput of up to 1Mbit/s for data services during seasonal traffic peaks, which could slow some services down.

again it also depends on how many other o2 customers where in Paris at the same time.

I recently went to Dublin since the o2 changing the Throttling properties and it was much better.  3G speeds.  

I just wish o2 would say you get 200Mb data per day in a o2 Travel country and you can use say 15GB of you allowance In EU in any one billing month.

stop using the word Unlimited on o2 Travel,  be honest with customers.  At least then you know what’s happening.

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 12 of 12