cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picture messages

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

I just found out that it has cost me 30p to send a picture message to a mate.

Now I don't care about the money but surely it's data and therefore comes under my data plan?!

Cheers
Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

We have had a lot of complaints about this recently but it is down to texts being converted to MMS ...An explanation here

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/td-p...

Including smilies and emoticons can be a cause of this also

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

We have had a lot of complaints about this recently but it is down to texts being converted to MMS ...An explanation here

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/td-p...

Including smilies and emoticons can be a cause of this also

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 13

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Sadly no, it doesn't come off your data as the tech is so old it runs on the old wap system.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any photos sent by me are always by email or BBM and if possible over wifi.  

Message 4 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

What about group texts? More than 5 counts as MMS or so I believe. Also as I said previously adding smilies or emoticons to a text will convert it to MMS. If a text is longer than 460 characters....it will convert to MMS

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

You will always be charged for sending a pic via MMS. It is an outdated way of doing it now, and slow.

Either e-mail it, or use apps like Whatsapp, Viber, Kik, OOvoo, BBM etc etc.

Message 6 of 13

Poppysmum
Level 19: Quirky
  • 1332 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi

I just found out that it has cost me 30p to send a picture message to a mate.

Now I don't care about the money but surely it's data and therefore comes under my data plan?!

Cheers

You are lucky i got charged 33p and mum didnt even know she had received the picture til day after when i told her when she rang me. I did know i would be charged but mum asked me to send her the picture when i received it.

I have told mum if i send with whatsapp its free to send pictures but she wont turn internet on Rolleys even though she got 500MB  

Message 7 of 13

jonsie
  • 92912 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It took me a lot of effort just to get my mother to turn on the phone at all and my dear wife would never switch data on even though she worked for O2 wink

Message 8 of 13

Poppysmum
Level 19: Quirky
  • 1332 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

It took me a lot of effort just to get my mother to turn on the phone at all and my dear wife would never switch data on even though she worked for O2 wink

My mum got an s3 mini on contract with Tesco and a Nokia 5800 on o2 pay and go and she calls both phones stupid lol. Its not the phones its her and the reception in her flat.

My phone pleases itself if signal will work in her flat. Only place i struggle with my phone lol.

Message 9 of 13

paulbacon
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Surely its only a matter of time before MMS die off? With the likes of Whatsapp and Facebook Messenger, why pay to send an mms

Be interesting to see if texts are slowly declining. I send very few now instead just use IM apps

Message 10 of 13